Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 March 2002 17:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By P Hocking Can anyone help with the creation of a site safety handbook for operatives and supervisors. We already have one that is very wordy. What I am looking for is a more picture based format.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 March 2002 20:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Denis Hands CITB sell an excellent safety hand book for operatives. It is called Safe Start and, I think sells for around £4.00 a copy, with a discount if you pay the CITB levy. The book contains a mix of text and cartoon-type illustrations. If you are considering developing your own book, unless you are going to issue something that is produced in-house, you will be lucky to produce a hand book for less that the cost of the CITB book. I think the CITB number for book sales is 01485 577800 CITB also produce a fairly cheap safety check card for supervisors, but I can't remember what it is called. They also produce a comprehensive safety manual, pitched at site manager level, but this is more expensive at around £40.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 March 2002 05:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Uday Hi, We have printed a very good,safety booklet pocket size for our employees with pictures,illustrations,and do not mind mailing it you if you cd give me yr postal / mailing address. Regards, Uday
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 March 2002 08:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor If you are determined to do your own, some of the text and pictures in HSG150, HSG33 and the CITB's 'Site Safety Simplified' may also help.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 15 March 2002 12:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Denis Hands Further to Ken's response, please be aware that there is a copyright on all CITB publications and copying is prohibited. I suspect this also applies to HSE publications apart from (possibly) their free guidance sheets.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 15 March 2002 13:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan Dear P A couple of years ago an organisation I worked with had the same request as yourself and the choices were, something off the shelf or something more relevant to the work. In the end the choice was to produce a sturdy pocket safety book (A6 sized), based on the organisation's risk assessments and displayed in a simple "do - don't" format. The benefit of this approach is that the organisation's safety philosophy permeates throughout the book and is not just an adjunct to a standard text book. The cost obviously depends on volume and I would happily discuss that with you privately, if you wish. Hope this helps you to make your mind up, and if I can assist further just give me a call. Regards Ciaran 07802 945017
Admin  
#7 Posted : 18 March 2002 03:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart Some information on Construction Safety Publications that might help. If you intend to produce your own "In House Corporatised Booklet", talk to Scriptographic Publications. They produce simple booklets with graphic semi cartoon sketches. You can use these as stand alone information booklets or as support and backup material for Training Presentations, Safety Team Briefings, Tool Box Talks etc. They will I am sure be delighted to talk to you about producing and printing for you a Corporatised Booklet. The web site with all the details is listed below. http://www.scriptographic.co.uk/index.htm Also look at and contact the following Organisations who publish Safety Books and Learning material, and whilst these publications tend to be more expensive and general in content, they are eminently readable and produced in clear and well illustrated formats. The Construction Health & Safety Manual from Construction Industry Publications, (The publications unit of the Construction Indutry Confederation) is an excellant Two Volume publication. It is also updated annually and although pricy at GBPounds175.00 is well worth the investment. (In employment with a previous Organisation we issued a copy to every Construction and Project site that we operated as a Common reference document for access, reference and reading by the entire Site team). You may find that the CIP have other useful publications. The web details are: http://www.cgicentre.co.uk/start.htm for the publications centre. The confederation Web site is: http://www.constructionc...eration.co.uk/cip/index. Your Company may be Members of the Confederation in which case you will get discount rates. A further source of Good and Useful Site Safety publications is CIRIA: The Construction Industry Research and Information Association. They have recently updated there publication "Site Safety Handbook" see details below and Web site address. CIRIA also produce a book especially aimed at young Professionals tergeting there attention and training to Construction Site Safety. http://www.ciria.org.uk/index.html New CIRIA Site Safety Handbook 3rd edition CIRIA Review text: As part of its ongoing mission to promote best practice in construction CIRIA has produced a new edition of its best selling guide to Site Safety. The third edition of CIRIA’s Site Safety handbook has been extensively revised and updated. It is a must-read and invaluable reference for all construction professionals. Packed with advice and practical diagrams, this fact-filled book advises on responsibilities and the regulations in force. There is extensive coverage of all the hazards associated with site activities from bottled gases to cranes and hoists, excavations to scaffolding and even covers public safety and site security. This is a practical guide with short, fact-filled chapters. It can be reread and studied or carried as a reference. The Site Safety handbook also contains a whole section of references for further reading and public information points. CIRIA ends. If you choose to produce your own booklet and you don't use any of these organisations or publications I offer the following guidance. As an earlier respondent stated - beware of Copyright and if you wish to use certain Graphics from existing Publications you usually find that a simple letter, fax or e-mail to the Organisation explaining why and what you want the graphic for is sufficient to let you use it. Usually all that is required is an acknowledgement or credits page for photos and or Graphics and a copy of your publication to the Copyright holder.. you will find that you can use most HSE items as long as it is for information and not to promote, gain or sell/market. Again you must give credits. In a previous Organisation I worked with I identified an existing member of personnel who was a graphic Artist and Cartoonist. We discussed ideas with him and roughed out the type of detail we wanted to illustrate and he did the rest. Some additional reward was given for his time and his skill and the individual was also given "credit" in the published booklet and poster that the company produced. Check around in your company, you might have somebody with these hidden skills already in your ranks. (Find out who the toilet graffitti artist is!!!!!!!!!!) You can in this computeruised age of course use real illustrations of your Companies Premises, Worksites and people using Digital Photos.(Good to get the permission of the individual first though if you are using individual and personal photographs - again usually if asked the individual is usually willing to appear in the company document - something to do with ego, seriously though it gives them some ownership/stakeholding in the matter - as well as some inital micky take from colleagues when the publication is first issued. With your own photographs etc., you can of course overwrite them in Power Point with graphics and text to emphasise points etc., Can I also suggest that you keep the Text of your booklet "Simple" and short. Beware also that the booklet will DATE quickly so unless you intend to republish regularly and withdraw previous issues, (You can colour code them for obselessence purposes) consider some form of loose leaf presentation and just issue updates or new sections as you develop them. As regards the Publications referred to above I should at this juncture state that I am not an Agent and receive no benefit from any of these bodies for mentioning/promoting their publications , I refer you to them because they produce excellant publications and a lot of the material and the contribution time that goes into them in the first place comes from The UK Construction Industry through Company Membership and sharing of best practice and by nominee individuals from many of the member companies giving their time, personal and corporate knowledge and experience. I hope that some of this information is of help. Good luck whatever you choose to do. Regards. Ken Urquhart