Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 March 2002 08:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By owen howlett In a recently-completed major corporate building in London, the client is reporting that 30-40 secretarial staff are exhibiting bloodshot eyes towards the end of the working day. The staff are distributed throughout the building, although only the secretarial staff seem affected. I work for the company that supplied the lighting, and we're being asked to look in to the causes, but the lighting is state-of-the-art and my own feeling is that it's not the cause. Has anyone come across bloodshot eyes before? Could it be caused by residual dust from construction? Allergens from new furnishings? New air conditioning? New bright computer screens?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 March 2002 10:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House Hi Owen, I would suggest that as it only appears to be the secretarial staff that are affected then it is more likely to be a comnbination of the new lighting and the (new?) monitors. What are the LUX levels at and around the affected workstations? I was taught to work on an ambient light level of 200 LUX, with a minimum of 100 LUX for general office work. That said, the light level in my office is 238 LUX (although this is 100% secondary lighting as there are no external windows anywhere near where I work. I find that if the light level in my office were any lower, it would be too dark. There is also an argument as th whether CAT 2 lighting is better or worse that CAT 1 for computer work. Again, in our offices, we have a mixture of the two, and different people seem to have problems with each type. How long have the offices been in use? If it is very recent, and the employees have been used to a completely different level of lighting, then it may be worth suggesting a reasonable time frame for people to get used to the new standard of lighting, as we had a similar problem when we moved offices a couple of years ago. Initially, people had problems with the light, but after around 6 weeks, they became used to the new lighting levels. Another thing worth checking is whether the affected people have had a recent DSE evaluation carried out, and also whether they are taking regular breaks. My apologies for going on, and I hope that this helps a little. Regards, Nick.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 March 2002 11:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dyfed Rowlands They've all probably been on the lash the night before, that normally causes bloodshot eyes. Seriously, have a look at the following guidances: 1) HSG 132 Sick Building Syndrome 2) HSG 38 Lighting at Work 3) DSE Guidances Regards Dyfed
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 March 2002 12:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Large It might also be worth checking the humidity. You blink less whilst staring at screens. If the air is dry your eyes will dry out very quickly. Staff wearing contact lenses will experience this earlier than other users.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 March 2002 17:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor It would be worth asking a few more health-related questions (along the DSE assessment lines) such as whether their eyes hurt, do they have regular eye tests, are they rubbing them, do they have headaches, does the condition come on during the day, does it go at week-ends, holidays, etc. Additionally environmental monitoring should help (temperature, relative, humidity, dust levels, ventilation, etc) On lighting, is there glare, reflection, nearby light sources, are they facing windows, etc. 300 lux is reasonable for ambient light levels to provide a reasonable variation from that of the display screen.