Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 March 2002 13:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By A Fergusson Should we be concerned that the new taxation system may encourage company car drivers to choose cheaper cars rather than ones with a good safety standard? Given that travelling for business is a work activity should we not consider assessing cars as a piece of work equipment?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 March 2002 14:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House Whilst all cars currently sold in this country can be regarded as being safe, and meeting at least the minimum safety standards, I would suggest that fleet managers should (and usually do)carry out a basic assessment on any proposed make/ model of vehicle to ensure that it is suitable for the job to which it is being assigned before it is authorised. This way, any potentially unsuitable vehicles can be vetoed on the grounds of being unsuitable/ unsafe for the proposed use to which it is likely to be put.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 March 2002 16:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Jarman As far as I am aware, the new company car tax system favours those with more 'environmentally friendly' vehicles, and not cheaper, less safe cars. My manager has recently chosen a VW Bora as his company car, a decision based on the new taxation system, and this is a very safe and well specified vehicle. Remember, it is not the standard of the car that affects safety on the road, but the attitudes of those driving them!