Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2002 22:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Harris We have a 5 storey building requiring window cleaning contractors to attach to some 600 eye bolts. Our maintenance guy has a notion we must do the above test on 25% of the eye bolts on a rolling cycle. Surely under LOLLER & PUWER this cannot be right! Would you ask someone to attach themselves to a bolt untested for nearly 3 years ? With lives at stake and the HSE giving me "Regulations" can any one offer a practical solution ? Test them all annually or once every 4 years ? Any help greatly appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 March 2002 13:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jo Scott Smith I manage a 5 storey office block. We arrange for outside contractors to test and certificate all eyebolts annually. Unfortunately I cannot quote you what regulation requires this. A note on the test certificate indicates it is the PPE regs so I would guess that it falls within adequate maintenance and testing thereof. Hope this helps.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 March 2002 15:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By P Hocking Hi Chris, My understanding and from experience and according to Reg 9, 3, (a) thorough examination is required in the case of lifting equipment used for lifting persons or an accessory is at least every 6 months. In the case of other lifting equipment every 12 months. In addition to the thorough examination employers have a duty to ensure that work equipment is maintained in good repair (reg 9) What you also have to consider is who is carrying out the examinations and to what standards and what associations they belong to to give an overall evaluation of competence. You may wish to contact Lifting Equipment Engineers Association TEL: 01279 816504 for their difinitve answer. Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 March 2002 16:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt I researched this about 12 months ago with an inconclusive answer despite contacting the help lines of IOSH, the BSC and talking to the HSE. It started when a contractor said it was a legal requirement under LOLER and had to be done yearly -my understanding at the time was that a 20% sample should be done annually so that they would all be completed over 5 years. The client manages over 200 premises and has a huge number of eyebolts - so the proposed extra costs were substantial. I remember reading at the time that eyebolts do not come under LOLER (in an HSE document) so I then delved into the relevant BSs. I came to the conclusion that there was no definitive advice or guidance on testing/checking periods. So if you want to be really certain have them checked 6 monthly. I stick with the risk assessment we did (took into account failures when testing - none, and the expected loading) and continue to have 20% of them done annually. Geoff
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 March 2002 20:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Chris. Under LOLER 'man-riding' equipment (such as tripods and winches used for confined spaces etc) have to be tested every 6 months. In principal this has not changed from the relevant provisions of the Factories Act (now repealed). Other lifting equipment, such as for lifting materials etc has to be done 12 monthly. There are also specific testing requirements for passenger lifts (CIBSE have a guidance document on lifts for those who want to know). If the eyebolts are specifically designed for using as a 'LIFTING DEVICE' i.e a rope block was attached via a karabiner and they are employed for lifting persons as a 'man-riding device' I believe that the requirments under LOLER would apply (e.g 6 monthly). However if they are used for securing ladders or persons - vis - a fall arresting device, I believe they would be subject to the requirments of PUWER (and not specifically LOLER). I stand to be corrected if anyone may know better on this subject and could enhance these comments. Regards... Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 March 2002 22:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Perhaps I should qualify my previous response. From the original enquiry I had assumed the eyebolts were purely for fall arrest use ie window cleaners were attaching harnesses to them. My response reflects this assumption. Geoff
Admin  
#7 Posted : 22 March 2002 10:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Thomas Chris You could do worse than contact IRATA (Industrial Rope Access Trade Association) who have their own codes of practice and working systems developed in consultation with the HSE. Their e-mail address is info@irata.org. There's also an interesting article in the SHP dated June 1997 (yes 1997!)that considers some design principles of horizontal fall protection systems. Oh well, back to the anorack factory! Regards Rob
Admin  
#8 Posted : 25 March 2002 10:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rob Christopher I spoke to HSE Info Line a few weeks ago about fall arrest harnesses and the testing frequency. They stated that as fall arrest they were an item of PPE. As such the period between tests should be dictated by the manufacturer. Should this not apply to these eyebolts too? Regards Rob