Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 March 2002 10:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hayden Mead
I know what my feelings are about this, but i'd like to hear the opinions of other professionals.

Is it acceptable for a company to allow homeworkers that use the telephone upto 75% of the working day to use their company mobile phone rather than supply a landline?

Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2002 11:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Jarman
Hayden,

Personally I would do a risk assessment and relate this to the current knowledge and best practice that is available. Recent media coverage has suggested that there is no proven health risks, yet the government and mobile phone companies are issuing guidance regarding phone use. Take the guidance into account when assessing the risk and suggesting your control measures or alternative working arrangements.

Regards

Mark
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 March 2002 15:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House
Hi Hayden,

Leaving the potential health issues aside, I would have thought that having a line installed at a homeworkers address (as we do), would prove cheaper (have you seen the cost of mobile phone calls?

As someone who also deals with the telecomms solutions for our company, I have already been along this road. If there are concerns of abuse, itemised bills can be provided (as with mobile phones), and if the person also needs internet/ email access whilst being on the phone, why not try BT highway (either home or business).

The only drawback is that each installation comes with a minimum 12 month line rental contract. So, if an employee were to leave the company within that 12 month period, although you can have the line disconnected (so that no calls can be made), the company will still have to stump up the line rental until the 12 month period is complete. A way around this would be to state that the employee would have to pass a 3 month appraisal (or whatever your company has in place) before they could have a fixed line installed.

Hope this adds strength to your argument.

Regards,

Nick.

Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 March 2002 15:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy
Hayden,

Just a minor point.

Do you provide hands free for the mobile or are they holding the phone in "the crook of their neck" for 75% of the day?

No need to reply, just a thought. Probably already covered.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 March 2002 16:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Roberts
Hayden

I agree with the previous respondent who points out that it is not a sensible approach anyway from a cost effective viewpoint, unless your company has some reduced rate link with an mp operator.

There is lots of useful information on the web site of the International Expert Group on Mobile Phones.

http://www.iegmp.org.uk/IEGMPtxt.htm

My personal view is that the risks from mobile phones are insignificant, irrespective of the period of time used, but I think more research should be done to confirm this as far as possible. It is however, virtually impossible to "prove a no-effect conclusion". Much of the so called "research" that has been emotively published to date has been very poor and generally misquoted in the press. The problem you will have with doing a risk assessment is getting any objective data given the lack of conclusive research. However, I personally do not think an extreme precautionary approach is justified, because what good research that has been done to date shows there is little or no risk. Also I believe that if the claims being made by some people were true the ill health effects would be enormous and immediately obvious to us, given the widespread use made of mobile phones.

PS I do not work for a mobile phone company!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 March 2002 18:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David .J. Minnery
No proven health risk , but may cause "subtle biological changes" , once this term has been explained it may then be possible to conduct a proper risk assessment on any potential health problems !

Regards
David