Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 March 2002 16:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eddie Campbell I am trying to research some detail on the history and application of the Advanced Safety Auditing system. It would be useful if I could identify what successes (or otherwise) that may have been experienced. From some details found on the Technical Information section of this site I gather that ASA originated in the mining industry in the UK. BP has used this system on some of their offshore and onshore establishments with varying degrees of success. Does anyone have any information or sources of information that may help me?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 April 2002 11:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Eddie I suggest you contact BP safety direct - the contact I know best would be John Atherton at BP Sunbury. athertonj@bp.com if I remember rightly, but you could phone him as BP are always helpful in spreading the safety message. The system they use has proved effective in the petro-chem industry and it's prime intention is to get the operative to fully understand the consequences of what can go wrong ie to put some blood on the floor. It can be a useful tool to raise a general all round awareness. Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 April 2002 15:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram I have no personal experience of ASA, but know many who find it useful. I think the title is misleading - a major element is making managers have non-confrontational but challenging conversations about safety on site, so its more about monitoring than auditing. It is hard to find time to do this, and often harder to deploy the right skills, but the trainers that BP and others use seem able to get the right behaviours. It has been used by several major industry contractors as well as at BP sites. If you want more feedback, try putting a message on the offshore Step Change forum - you will have to register, but the site is open to all. The discussion forum is not well used compared to this one, but it's a good way to tap into a wide variety of offshore experience. The site is www.step.steel-sci.org
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 April 2002 09:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis I have had a contact with Peter McKie, former MD Dupont, he suggests you talk to John Gillies, Dupont safety - Bristol office, and mention his name and he should be able to help further. Bob
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 April 2002 09:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis In response to Ian, I think the need to put the time and effort into the system and conversations is the significant strength. Peter McKie, former MD Dupont, often talks about Clear, Visible Leadership. This is precisely what ASA intends to create. A clear statement from leaders that this is what they want and the importance placed on it Visible in that the leader is seen where it matters at the sharp end and doing what she/he preaches from the comfortable office Leadership in setting an example of what is required without ambiguity. What an difference such leadership makes. Peter himself as MD still allocated the first hour of the day to be on the shopfloor and expected leaders to follow that example. Bob