Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 April 2002 17:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob France I am attempting to encourage the authority I work for to start a campaign on prevention of violence to staff. My aim is to get them to publish a statement similar to the one posted by South West Trains on their platforms; "SWT will not tolerate assaults on their staff..." Has anyone out there managed to achieve anything like this, or similar?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 April 2002 18:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Bennett Bob, The NHS run a campaign on this called; "Zero Tolerance". Try their website it might give you some useful information. Kind Regards. Lee. http://www.nhs.uk/zerotolerance/
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 April 2002 12:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Bob Working in a front-line NHS Trust it has taken 4 years+ to get anywhere near what I would call a reasonable response. The statements are fine but only part of the story. Before the statements are pushed out the management culture has to be changed. From this will flow ownership and a willingness to take strong action when it counts. An awful lot of procedural, organisational and structural issues need to be in place too, before you can start acting strongly. If you e.mail me I will send a copy of our violence policy but be prepared for a journey with this one! BTW an e.g of 'strong action' means supporting & funding private prosecutions when the police take no action. Financial issues - certainly. BTW2 we have had 5 assaillants imprisoned in the past 6 months and 5 people refused treatment. A further 18 people have had their 'yellow card'. BTW3 it's worth investigating your local police authority with a view to entering a contract with them. They respond correctly when called and your staff will provide statements. Win:Win situation! Never lose sight of the fact that no staff should be subjected to violence and aggression. Sermon over!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 April 2002 17:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murphy I too would be happy to share with you our policy on violence in the workplace part and would commend you visit the DOH website about Violence to Social Care staff (www.doh.gov.uk/violencetaskforce/navigating.htm) where there is a lot of very useful information (and freebies such as policy documents from LA's) on the subject as it relates to this group of employees, (and others). I would agree though with many of Bryns' points about management committment and strucure being a key element if you are to have a succesful policy.