Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 April 2002 14:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By William O'Donnell Hi everyone, I have just been reading the HSE's new guidance on first aid at work. I notice that it still states that if a casualty is breathing they should be placed in the recovery position, and you should send for help. My advice to first aiders has allways been to only place a casualty in the recovery position if you are going to leave them unattended, as you do not have x-ray vision and therefore do not know if they have any internal injuries. Though rolling casualties, needlessly, around the floor with external injuries also does not seem a good idea. Am I right to be telling them this, and if so should we still be issuing guidance to first aiders to place people into this 'magical' recovery position.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 April 2002 16:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By P Hocking Hi William, It appears that you are indeed not correct in telling first aiders not to place casualties in the recovery position. The recovery position is by far the best course of action that prevents the tongue from obstructing the airway and allows any fluid to drain from the mouth (and not in to the lungs), if you have ever attended a vomitting casualty you would know what I am talking about. It also allows the casualty to breath more easily. If the casualty has internal or external injuries it is of course a secondary consideration to a clear air way. As I am a trained first aider and trained defibrillator user I would not take your advice. Always remember your ABC!!!!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 April 2002 22:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy William, My thoughts/opinions on this are; You are usually the only first aider on the scene, at least for some time. Whilst you are performing your body checks, for bleeds, #'s , ID/medi-tags etc, you must ensure that your patients airway remains patent. The only practical way to do this (as a first aider (without airway tubes)) is to place your patient in the recovery position. As has already been said, internal/external injuries that you may suspect are secondary to maintaining an airway. I would purchase an upto date St johns/Red Cross Resusci Council etc First Aid manual and stick to that. Regards Andrew
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 April 2002 07:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By William O'Donnell Thank you for your responses, the point about letting fluids drain from the air way is a good one. I will amend my advice on the recovery position accordingly. Once again thank you.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 April 2002 09:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I appreciate William's point on this one - as someone that has been involved with first-aid training and competitions since 1969 and having witnessed numerous attempts by first-aiders to turn casualties into the recovery position. Ultimately the guidance in the first-aid manuals is based upon judgements taken by experts for general application and in specific cases the benefits of an action may be outweighed by the risks. We must, of course, teach to the manuals but it is certainly worth emphasising the vulnerability of cervical vertebrae and the possibility of neck injury. A good first-aider will also, on occasions, need to think constructively and improvise in order to do his/her best for the casualty (eg when trapped in awkward positions where recovery positions or conventional CPR will be difficult if not impossible). It's worth using this opportunity to advise readers to obtain copies of the new leaflet and poster for distribition to their workplaces, first-aiders, nurses, etc.