Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 April 2002 10:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lorraine Dyer There is someone who would like to work as a volunteer in one of charity shops who is epileptic. Does anyone have any advice on the sorts of issue we should be considering /questions we should be asking in terms of risk assessment, in order to ensure their safety. Any help would be appreciated
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 April 2002 12:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie Lorraine, I suggest that you should be considering a) Whether the work activity poses any additional risk to the epileptic volunteer. For example, would they be required to climb step ladders to retrieve articles stored on a high shelf, or would they be required to operate potentially dangerous machinery? b) The physical work environment, are there any loading bays, pits, etc at the workplace that would pose an increased risk. c) The likely type, nature and frequency of any epileptic fit. How well does any medication control the fits. Properly controlled many epileptics can lead an almost 'normal' (whatever that is) life. Finally, subject to the volunteer being happy for colleagues to know of his/her condition, some information and training may be appropriate for those who will be working alongside him/her on what to do (and what not to do) in the event of the volunteer suffering a fit. Hope this helps
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 April 2002 13:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott I can only concur whats been said really. My son is epileptic and he is a painter and decorator! Providing medication is in control, most sufferers can detect the on set and take the necessary precautions not to put themselves in danger. If the volunteer is willing to speak about it, it shouldn't be an issue to him/her to let others know of his condition just in case. In many cases, 'normal' is 'normal' once under control and being treated. Best of luck!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 April 2002 14:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Lorraine, I work with the voluntary sector and SME's, for a project funded by the community fund (lottery charities board). The strange thing with our project is you get two qualified safety professionals and the service is completely free, unless you need us to come out and visit then we just ask for a donation to cover our travel costs. If your interested in discussing the issues with somone over the phone feel free to call either myself or Bob woods on 01535 664462 and have a chat about the problem. Ash
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 April 2002 09:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lorraine Dyer Many thanks for the responses posted - they are great help.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 April 2002 20:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow Hi Lorraine I too work within the voluntary sector and would agree with the other respondents, although I would add that your information to the charity that this person will be working includes the following: a)They are made aware of the condition and whether the person is on on medication b)Have in place a safe system – not only to deal with any seizure (first aid facilities) but what they do after the seizure has subsided. In some cases the person having the seizure may require to go home and “sleep it off” whilst others may just need to sit in a quiet corner until they feel well enough to return to their duties. We recently purchased a book, cost about £10-15.00 (name escapes me) that gives advice on epilepsy and other illness/disabilities and what if any limitations at work may apply – send me an email and I will pass on the details - david@safetymatters.org Regards David B