Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 April 2002 12:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Houghton I am interested in recommended humidity levels in offices where VDU's are used. The DSE Regs Guidance says that ventilation and humidity should be maintained at levels which prevent discomfort and sore eyes, but does not give any more specific information. I have seen 40-60%RH suggested as an appropriate level but I don't know the source or the background to this. Can anyone advise or point me in the right direction on this one? Many thanks, Brian
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 April 2002 13:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd I would guess the source of the 40-60% RH is BS 7179 Part 6 (1990); another source is CIBSE who offer a slightly different value I think. In the end it's what your staff are comfortable with - but then most don't immediately connect problems to low humidity. Another problem is that Building Services will often tell you that the system is performing 'within spec.' but staff are still having problems. This can happen because the humidity sensors are not positioned at desk level; often they are at the system output or in the roof of an open plan area - these often give different readings to that which might be collected at user level. I have often recorded relative humidity levels in the 20s in offices with many computers.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 April 2002 13:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott I believe it is also in the Workplace Regs that RH should be 40 - 70% if memory serves me right.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 April 2002 13:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Like David, I think the "comfort level" is 40 - 70% Laurie