Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2002 11:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ruth Clark
We have recently sent out a questionnaire to all our contractors requesting relevant H&S info in order to assess them for placement on our approved contractors list.

However, I have just received a response from a small florists that tends our plants (some of which require a ladder to reach). They have 5 employees, but have answered "Not Applicable" where we have asked for a copy of a statement of intent & organisation sections of their H&S policy.

They have also answered "Not Applicable" where we have asked them to provide details of any relevant risk assessments.

I am just being pedantic or should I ask them for further details? I mentioned they use a ladder to reach some plants - it has small stablisers on the sides at the bottom, but the ladder has to be placed on the spiral staircase that is the main access from the two floors of the building. The ladder is approximately 2m in length.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2002 12:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson
Ruth,

You have a duty to ensure that contractors are competent - if they have 5 staff, then they should have risk assessments and a written policy. Perhaps pointing them in the direction of the relevant free HSE leaflets may be a start? You may want to avoid giving them direct instructions or advice for fear of future reprisals.

I'm having similar issues at the minute, and I'm off to have a look at a company providing portaloos on Wednesday!

Regards,

Nick
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2002 13:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch
Ruth,

I agree with Nick that you should point your florist in the right direction, but think that perhaps your main concern should be consideration of how this ladder operation can be done safely both as regards the contractor's site personnel, but also others in the building especially those using the staircase.

Peter
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 April 2002 14:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
The real answer is "How can I bring the plants to a level not requiring the ladder use" It is often that the interior designers simply think I must fill that gap. Are the plants necessary at that location or can you find a way to maintain without the ladders? Don't get me wrong I think plants are good for the office but perhaps somewhere else in your case

Bob
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 April 2002 14:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson
Whilst I agree with Robert about eliminating the risk at source, I think the wider issue is about accepting and assessing contractors who are in many cases, a one man band (or five man band in this case).

Regards,

Nick
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 April 2002 16:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neal Robertson
Ruth,

I agree with whats gone on before in this thread, there are some control of contractor forms available to download and adapt free of charge at http://members.lycos.co.uk/sbsf.

Hope they help

Admin  
#7 Posted : 30 April 2002 23:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Partington
Ruth, if you like this contractor then help them out. It is not surprising that a small company does not know their responsibilities. Regardless of what the law says. As clients we may be held accountable for our contractors therefore make sure they are safe, strange to us but many small companies haver no idea of what a risk assessment is... Therefore if you like the work that they do then help them out.

Regards David.