Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2002 16:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By M Wilson Our company is a multi-disciplinary consultancy which is enjoying rapid growth. We have recently introduced a Building Surveying division. Some of the surveyors will be inspecting properties alone, which on occaissions may involve the use of ladders and inspection of roof voids within unoccupied properties. I understand there are alarm / warning devices specifically designed for lone working. I would be most grateful to receive any information in relation to these devices - a supplier's details would be helpful. Also I would be interested to hear how your organisation approaches lone working. Many thanks.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 May 2002 11:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie I would suggest issuing the surveyor with a mobile phone and then either: get him to phone in every hour or, someone to call him every hour. This would have a similar effect to a fixed alarm (which is used for lone working in a defined place) and would also allow communication with base to update any problems, advise which area of the building they will be working in etc. Obviously a strict system of work would be required, and a mobile phone with a fully charged battery.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 May 2002 16:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Cooper Try the Guardian Angel personal security service via blue Chip Technologies on www.bluechiptechnologies.com or tel: +44 (0)28 9046 6460. They have advertised in the May edition of the Safety Practitioner and will be at the Health and Safety Expo at the NEC Birmingham later this month. Apparently their system is based on mobile phones. Alternatively try Coleshill Alarm Systems at www.ca-systems.co.uk or tel:01676 540323 who manufacture a lone workers safety alarm. Hope this helps, Frank Cooper