Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 May 2002 19:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Addison Does anyone have any research information in regard to the elimination of nurses stations in hospital wards ? In particular I am interested in the workplace environment impact and psychological issues of such a move e.g. 1. Potential effect on staff having nowhere to write reports 2. Effect on morale of nursing staff 3. Rationale of such moves I am aware that in regard to the latter, elimination of a nurse station is apparently justified in regard to preventing nurses "congregating" and encouraging more contact with patients. In addition, nurses stations are seen to be a barrier to patients and visitors. The advent of electronic patient records should allow nurses to provide more care at the bedside. Eliminating the nursing station should however coincide with significant investment in IT and training to meet this end. My fear is that eliminating nurses stations without that coincidental investment will cause problems. Any comments gratefully received.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 May 2002 09:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Mains Nigel, what effect would this have on the fire regulations? I was thinking of the regulation / recommendation that 75%(?) of beds/patients should be visible from the workstation. The nurses station is normally placed centrally within the ward area giving the widest range of visibility possible. Regards, David.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 May 2002 12:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Nigel I am not aware of any moves to eliminate nurses' stations. Where does this come from as I would like to follow it up? John