Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 May 2002 11:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods
I can find no H&S legislation that allows workers time to wash off [as it's known in these parts] before meal or finishing times.

My understanding is that these time allowances are negotiated by the workers or their representatives rather than a legislative right.

Am I correct?

Comments/advice Please

Robert Woods
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 May 2002 15:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Cooper
Robert,
In my time with a major blue-chip company this was always known as "ineffective time". It was always negotiated between Trade Unions at national level.It was not considered to bear any relationship to health and safety other than for the obvious hygiene requirements.
Time for handwashing before meals was always included in the actual meal break times.

However, I suppose it also depends upon how dirty the people get during their work.
I could think of a number of jobs where it would be advisable to shower before meals or before going home, thus requiring more time.
My advice is leave it to the workers representatives to dicuss with management.
Frank Cooper MIOSH, RSP.

Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 May 2002 16:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neal Robertson
Robert, just a thought - are the workers on piecework? If so, the rest allowance built in to the piece work rate should include time for "personal needs"

Your work study / industrial engineering / time & motion department could help to explain this more fully.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 May 2002 13:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft
Robert

In my previous employment, with a large engineering and construction comany in Sheffield, I was the AEEU convenor and Safety Representative. To the best of my knowledge the wash off time was negotiated as a local agreement this was 3 minutes before the lunch break and the same before knocking off to go home. There was no wash off time before tea breaks etc. but as Neal points out, in the bad old days of piece work there was a 10% allowance on the price of the job for contingencies.

Regards,
Ian
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 May 2002 01:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Robert.

I would suppose that it would very much depend on the type of work being undertaken and how dirty, grimy smelly or contaminated the worker get's.

I think it would be reasonable to expect time to clean yourself up if you are getting particularly messed up, such as work in sewers, some factory processes, and other areas of employment.

the HASAW Act 74 requires employers to provide welfare facilities, therefore in such circumstances I would think the employees would be expected reasonable use of them to clean up.

interestingly enough, years ago we used to get time for laundering our overalls at work (sewer work - 1 morning each week) and for cleaning up at the end of each day (1/2 hour).

This was 'paid time' beit within the working day or not.

regards...

Stuart Nagle