Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 May 2002 12:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard
I have a royal visit happening later this year. Obviously any risk to the Personage will be looked after by Special Branch, but has anybody got thoughts on further risk assessment?

Luckily I don't have members of the public, but I do have large numbers of primary school pupils being racked up in the car park.

I've covered things like toilets, first aid and amusements (and that's just for our staff!) but is there anything else anyone can think of?

Laurie
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 May 2002 12:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
If it is the Duke of Edinburgh, you could get him to check the electrics over, whilst he is on site.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 May 2002 16:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neal Robertson
You could try IND(G) 142L "Managing Crowds Safely" from the HSE to give you some pointers
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 May 2002 16:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Marchant
Richard

Do you need to make any arrangements for the Press?
Do you have a disaster recovery plan - what will you do if there's say, a fire, 48 hours before?

Hilary
Admin  
#5 Posted : 09 May 2002 08:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
We use the relevant parts of HSG195 'The Event Safety Guide' (HSE) for events of this nature.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 09 May 2002 09:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard
Thanks everybody.

Hilary - in answer to your question, I would call the fire brigade, and monitor the evacuation. The rest of it is not a H&S issue and is a matter for senior management!!

Richard
Admin  
#7 Posted : 09 May 2002 15:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By steve williamson
Thought about contact/fumes with wet paint?
Admin  
#8 Posted : 09 May 2002 20:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Böber
Richard

If you'd like to email me directly I can send you a general run down of the pros and cons for a Royal visit. Working at the Royal Opera House we tend to have rather a lot of these.

Send me a break down of the event i.e. was it is, what you are doing, numbers of people attending, catering arrangements etc. I can clue you up a little.

For reasons of confidentiality, should you need to contact the Royal Opera House to confirm whom I say then please do - you can visit our website on www.roh.org.uk for full details.

Andrew J. Böber, Esq.
Cert. OSH TechSP
House Management
Royal Opera House

Email: andrew.bober@roh.org.uk
Admin  
#9 Posted : 10 May 2002 09:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment
The major problems with these visits are:-

aggressive behaviour by HRH DoE (he is a grumpy so and so and upsets someone on every visit)

the overuse of cleaning materials and paints prior to the visit

the very high risk of fawning sycophants laughing their heads off at every comment the Royal party makes

the loss of various staff up the Royal passage (strapping a plank across their backs generally helps. No planks? Use a long rope - they do get some distance)

staff unaccountably hyperventilating and fainting when meeting an old lady with some lippy and expensive jewellery on