Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 May 2002 20:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Matthews AIIRSM
Can anyone tell me how long we have to keep risk assessments for?
I understand that for asbestos, COSHH and lead it is for 40 years, but what about contractors on site who have completed their work? and risk assessments for a factory shopfloor?

Regards

Bob
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 May 2002 08:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson
Bob,

COSHH assessments don't have to be kept for 40 years. It is health records from health surveillance that have to be kept for 40 years. COSHH assessment have to be reviewed, as a minimum, every 5 years. There is no requirement to keep old records, but I guess common sense may tell you to keep the current and the previous assessment. The same could be said for RA's under MHSWR99, excep that there is no stipulated timescale for review, as in COSHH. They should be reviewed when circumstances change or when there is reason to believe that they are no longer valid. Again, it would make sense to keep the current and previous version.

Hope this helps,

Nick
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 May 2002 11:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott
I would tend to agree with the previous comment on good sense (current plus 1),however, I would also suggest that the old risk assessment should be available for up to 3 years in case there is any litigation waiting round the corner, as amongst the first documents the lawyers ask for is the risk assessment in force at the time of the accident and the one following the accident!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 May 2002 12:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Matthews AIIRSM
I agree with both comments, I was going off the HSE "A guide to risk assessments" which states for COSHH, asbestos and lead, assessments are to be kept for a minimum of 40 years from the last entry.
I have assessments going back nore than 12 years, although I have updated these as time goes by

Bob