Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 May 2002 09:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Elliott I am currently overseeing a small building contract which involves materials being moved by a FLT. The work is on a houising estate. Do FLT's have to have reversing sirens and flashiing beacons fitted in such cases?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 May 2002 15:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Matthews AIIRSM Paul, As I understand it all new FLT's built from 1998 have to have seat belts and audible alarms fitted from new. Older (pre 1998)FLT's have until 5th Dec this year to comply You will find reference in the LOLER regs Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 May 2002 20:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Paul. The previous respondent is correct. all FLTs supplied after 5th December 98 had to comply with the requirements. On 5th December this year (2002) the other part of the requirements come into force, by which time ALL FLT's have to comply with the requirements for restraints to be fitted. On the question of of other precautions, i.e reversing bleepers ect, even if the FLT was not required to comply, as was, it is a matter of what is reasonable and practicable given the circumstances. Risk assessment may advise that the 'extras' should be fitted even though there may not have been a legal requirment to do so. The question to ask yourself here would have been what would be considered reasonably practicable had an accident occurred. say whilst reversing (without a bleeper)!! fairly logical stuff I would say really !! Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 May 2002 21:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey Dear Paul, Working on a housing estate sounds like minor construction work to me. Might I suggest a good knowledge of HSG 150 Health and Safety in Construction would be a good starting place. Peter Harvey