Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 May 2002 06:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Uday
Can readers of IOSH discussion forum tell me as to how long we as a company have to keep HSE statistics for legally.
Many thanks.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 May 2002 09:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Daly
The law alows anyone 3 years before they have to sue or run out of time.
After that 6 years after the court case in case of appeals etc.
If there are no claims after 3 years you can dispose of the data.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 May 2002 22:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Angela
I'm sure many people will pick up on this response, but I could not let this one get away. Just in case nobody else noticed and let it sneak through.

You should NOT use the last persons response as three years for keeping HSE data is woefully inadequate. Yes, three years from the time of an injury, but that does not allow for the on set of diseases which in some case can have a long latency. The classic example in the news at the moment being Mesothelioma due to exposure to asbestos. This disease can take 30 to 40 years before the onset is detected. Records to show suitable and sufficient risk assessments and adequately maintained controlled measures, including PPE (as the last resort) should be kept for many year.

The Company I work for currently archive records for 100 years.

HSE Approved Dosimetry Services are also legally obliged to maintain radiation dose records for 50 years.

It might also be worth pointing out here that the quality of historic records can at times be less than ideal. I feel strongly that we all have a moral duty to maintain records that are clear and easily retrievable in the future. Indeed if you have knowledge particularly for the interpretation of historic data now you should ensure that this knowledge is recorded to give meaning to the records for the future when you are no longer able to.

Typical problems with historic data include, no personal identifier such as NI number compounded by use of initials and not forenames. I've also seen data that is becoming illegible as printed text fades on yellowing paper. Pencil records fading with time, amended records with no explanation. Figures quoted that are meaningless without knowledge of the methods or units used for measurement. The resources never seem to stretch to manage an archive as well as a health and safety department!

Oh well, that's enough of me on my soap box. I'm sure others might wish to add further on the legal requirements to keep records. There is plenty to say about the subject.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 May 2002 08:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson
Dear all,

Three & six years is the maximum period after knowledge of the injury, not the incident causing the injury, for you to initiate a claim. What is regarded as having knowledge depends upon the specific injury.

With regard to other records. There are varyinp periods. Ventilation checks are 5 years, air monitoring 5 years, personal monitoring 40 years etc, etc.

You have to check the requirements of each law in turn. A practical limit is 50 years.

Regards