Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 May 2002 23:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul O'Leary Hi I was wondering for any input on RSI, the reason I ask is that I have been approached by several fellow workers who are suffering from pains in there arms, back and in particular hands and fingers. The source of the discomfort is using several large crane pendants for movement operations. The pendants are set out very poorly and are an old design, the operations buttons are very stiff and excessive pressure is needed to push them in They have been using these pendants for over 2 years and the time they are on them can be between 5 minutes to 1-2 hours The pendants are getting replaced however this has been going on for 12 months now and there has nt been much action recently. I have organised as part of safety inspections to look at the pendants and from this I have arranged training from within the company for manual handleing techniques(for the pendants due to size and weight) and training on posture. The other thing is an RSI 5 step assessment which I obtained from the TUC web site which is useful. From the results of the 5 step assessment we have now done an indepth risk assessment inculding 1 Time limit of using the crane 2 More than 1 user so the can work in spells 3 New pendants being ordered etc My concerns are is this enough the workers are content however RSI seems a grey field to me and many of my collegues. It seems to be linked to computers etc but not as much crane pendant or control room stations. If anyone has any advice please say Many thanks from a young fella P.s This is the first time of using this forum so forgive the spelling mistakes
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 May 2002 08:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft You seem to have put quite a lot of work into trying to solve this problem. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that RSI is only a problem for computer users. As you are finding out RSI or Work Related Upper Limb Disorders can affect many occupations and their effects can be devastating to normal life, in the worst cases leaving sufferers permanently disabled. RSI does not just affect the upper limbs though it can affect the back, knees, hips, etc. depending on the type of work being done. I have worked with pendant controled cranes and found them far from satisfactory, it can often involve a lot of pulling and tugging on the pendant to get it into the right place and then continued pressure to keep it there. If you let go of the pendant, e.g. to sling the item to be lifted, it tends to swing away so you have go and fetch it, not to mention the pressure required to keep the buttons pressed in. A better solution is to to convert the cranes radio control with levers used on the hand set. These, we found, to be much better. If your company is going to the expense of replacing the pendants they may consider spending the extra to convert.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 May 2002 11:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd RSI (or WRULDs) just seems to be more prevalent in offices because of the publicity it receives. In fact, it is a greater and usually more serious problem in industry. You wouldn't normally include back pain as part of an RSI problem, but the issues you describe with the buttons on the pendant appear to be examples of typical risk factors for WRULDs, and the risk would certainly be increased by length of time at task (exposure). The measures you have put in place appear to be a very reasonable stab at reducing the problem, although I don't hold out much hope for benefit from the manual handling training. Though please don't take that as suggesting you shouldn't bother - at least workers will be made aware of activities that put them at risk, and it should therefore make them more careful in those situations. But moving the slider of a pendant (or indeed of a manually moved crane hook) places considerable strain on the shoulders and back, but there isn't a technique that I know which can effectively reduce this. What is needed is a design change, and the radio controlled systems as mentioned above (or even lightweight pendants and sliders) must be the preferred option. Your other measures of task rotation and reducing time at the task are certainly supported by all the evidence and guidance. I would also suggest regular monitoring of the new system to ensure your changes are happening and that they are having the intended effect, but it sounds as though you would be doing that anyway.