Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 May 2002 08:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raj Kindly advise me on the implications of enforcing sudden implementation of a No Smoking Policy in a Company that has 60% smoking population. All staff have been instructed to stop smoking at work; there is no designated smoking room in the complex, and satff are not allowed to smoke in their 8 hr shift. What effects will this have on the smoking population?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 May 2002 10:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House Firstly, I think you will find that 60% of your workforce will be a little upset (putting it mildly). Secondly, before the introduction of any policy such as this, consultation with staff members should be undertaken, and in any case, provision should be made for some kind of smoking area that is safe for employees to use. Surely this is a pretty Draconian way for management to implement a policy? Is there a Union rep within your company? If so, has he been consulted over this? If not, as a worse case scenario, you may find out that if there is a strong union presence within your company, that the management may have to do some serious back tracking. If, however, the staff were consulted, and both designated staff members as well as management came to some compromise with regard to implementing a no smoking policy, then you may well have a higher success rate when it comes to implementation and enforcement.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 May 2002 13:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Cooper Raj, I think your company have failed its workforce from the very beginning! Its a "Smoking Policy" they should put in place not a NO smoking policy! However, rather than go into a longwinded response I suggest you have a look at the following website that will give you all the info you need www.ash.org.uk This site will give you info on setting out a polcy as well as all the proper reasons for doing so. Frank Cooper
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 May 2002 08:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raj Thanks Nick and Frank. I appreciate your support. warm regards Raj
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 May 2002 12:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jackie Winn Raj, We implemented a no-smoking policy last year but had extensive consultation with staff beforehand. I understand that an employer is advised to give employees 60 days notice before implementing a total ban on smoking because of the difficulties smokers face in having to cut down their nicotine intake or in giving up smoking altogether. Although no smoking policies are developed to protect employees from the harmful effects of passive smoking, and therefore are widely supported, you could argue that your employer has acted without any regard for the welfare of the smokers by implementing a sudden policy in this manner. We did a lot of research and surveying before developing our policy, if you want to discuss this further, please feel free to ring me on 0161 911 4689. Kind Regards Jackie Winn (Oldham MBC)
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 May 2002 14:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By steve williamson The effect is that someone will slide off for a crafty fag, burn your roof off and put you out of business. Take a step back, and come up with a properly thought out smoking control policy with safe areas and support for quitters.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 22 May 2002 16:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rob Todd Raj, One thing to remember is that any change to a persons employment terms and conditions requires a period of notice. To change to a complete ban on something that has been the norm would take in the region of three months (which is the standard for this type of situation) At present, under your circumstances, your staff could push for constructive dismissal and win.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 23 May 2002 16:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Scott Murdoch Can anyone help with information on the carrying of fire exstingusers in industrial vans that work on customers sites. I beleive you have to have them by a certain time. Any help would be gladley accepted.