Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 May 2002 16:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry hutton Can anyone help. I am developing a risk assessment course and need some practical exercies on assessing risk. The exercises need to be around 20min long each and come complete with any visual material (photos, slides etc.) Ideally I would like something interesting and different that everybody could have a go at regardless of work sector. I am also interested in exploring the reasonably practicable argument when considering control mechanisms, so if anyone has exercises along these lines then I would be grateful to hear. Alternatively if anyone has any hazard photos then these may be useful. Thanks in anticipation.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 May 2002 17:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry hutton Robert, I am a corporate member of IOSH. But I am not looking for someone to develop the course for me. I have a course outline already developed. Are you able to help with any the material I'm looking for?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 May 2002 14:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karin Bartling-Dudziak I work on skin care and personal hygiene in Germany. Does this field cover any risks, you mean? If so, I could offer you some info about a fluorescence method, we developed here. There seams to be no such thing on the English market, as far as we heard. Karin
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 May 2002 17:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry hutton Thanks Karin for your response but I'm looking for more obvious and and simpler exercises. cheers anyway
Admin  
#5 Posted : 23 May 2002 08:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Conway One which I've used in the past which is more related to COSHH than general risk assessment, but may fit the bill, is filling up your car with petrol. Petrol contains benzene, a potential carcinogen, which may cause leukemia amongst other things. When you fill up your car you may smell the vapour. Ask them to identify the factors which influence the risk and to reach a conclusion. Factors include: potential effects - types (narcotic, dermatitis) severity, location, timescale, multiple effects form routes of exposure exposure - level, duration, frequency how it is used and work being done how exposure is controlled - piped, cut off mechanism, long nozzel, may even have vapour recovery system, it is outdoors, rubber guard, spill kits. There are other risks which could be considered - fire, explosion. Steve
Admin  
#6 Posted : 23 May 2002 11:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Dear Barry I have a few hazard photos I could let you have. Topics are largely electrical - spaghetti junctions, creative wiring, obstructing the access to the emergency off switches. Please send me your e-mail address if you are interested. Jane
Admin  
#7 Posted : 23 May 2002 12:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry hutton Steve, your a star! Thats just the type of exercise I'm looking for. Its an everyday situation with an element of risk and some controls that we all take for granted. It'll give the thinkers amonst the group something to ponder on. Tar
Admin  
#8 Posted : 23 May 2002 16:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Barry As a way of illustrating that most assessments require little in the way of scientific knowledge I normally start risk assessment training by getting the audience to assess 'Crossing the Road'. Hazard severity - High, likelihood of occurrence - ???. Most audiences come up with the many factors that contribute to the likelihood of any particular person being struck by vehicles - age, experience, training (Tufty, Green Cross etc), supervision, able/disabled, where to cross, type of road, weather conditions, sightlines, speed of traffic, blah, blah, blah. Seems to work in debunking the myth that RAs need to always be complicated / scientific / arduous.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 24 May 2002 08:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Conway Barry, Bryn's suggestion has triggered an example of reasonable practcability. The scenario - childrens' school is situated by a road (draw a picture on a flip chart). What kind of accident can happen here? Your audience can be the PTA - ask for suggestions how the pupils can be protected. These can range from barriers, sleeping policemen, re-route traffic, underpass, bridge, crossing, lolly pop person, education, 20mph zone etc, etc. (drawn them on the flip chart - it will end up being a bit of a mess). Present 2 situations: quiet road with very little traffic and a busy 50mph dual carriage way - ask which is the higher risk and then ask which measures should be selected. I would follow this up with a simple workplace example - you can use the school and workplace example to highlight that risk assessment is an important in prioritising the allocation of resources according to risk.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 24 May 2002 10:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Roberts Barry, I have used the paint stripping exercise in risk assessment training. This involves asking the delegates to risk assess the process of repainting a door by fist using caustic paint stripper, cleaning,sanding and repainting the door with solvent based gloss paint. This is followed by cleaning the painting tools. Get them to first list the all the taskes involved in the preparation,painting and cleaning.Then list all the hazards i.e. caustic stripper, sloppy paint caustic mix, including fumes, wood dust, solvents and any others you can think of. Follow this up with control methods i.e, safe systems, substitution, using contractors, PPE etc,etc. Then list the controls in order of priority. I have found this usually creats a good debate and makes the task of risk assessment interesting to all parties. Have fun Regards Phil Roberts