Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 May 2002 13:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John E Beadle
I am in the process of risk asessing the use of air guns that are used for cleaning machines in our workshops. One issue that I cannot find any information on is the maximum pressure if thereis one that you should operate the Guns on. The guns we use are propriety purchased guns with a maximum working pressure 143psi our pressure in the workshop is 100psi. Information on this subject will be most appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 May 2002 13:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
John

The HSE document HSG39 - Compressed Air Safety - talks about 'blow guns' used for purposes such as yours and warns that they can be very dangerous. HSE suggests reducing the pressure from the normal 80 psi line pressure (but I have seen line pressures up to 100 psi) but does not say at what pressure they should be used. You should use the minimum pressure to achieve your objective.

Regards

Paul Leadbetter
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 May 2002 14:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
John,

I can't quote you a reference but less than two atmoshperes (I think 25 psi is the recommended level)is regarded as a safe working/nozzle pressure for air guns used for blowing down a work piece or area.

I believe you can find on the market pistols which inherently reduce the pressure to this level. Some I have seen supply a circular curtain of air around the main jet to ensure that disturbed particles - swarf or dust - do not rebound towards the user

Merv Newman