Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 June 2002 00:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Cathy Denomme I am looking for information on prequalifying contractors so that supervisors can call them in on an "as needed basis". I have started to create a questionnaire and am looking for information on what I should be asking the contractors for, to ensure that health and safety is a priority with them and they are following health and safety legislation. If anyone can share their process with me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Cathy
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 June 2002 10:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie Do you mean "contractors" who will carry out construction works or "contractors" who work in a process (or other) environment?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 June 2002 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Cathy, Some Information for you: HSE produce a good guide for the chemical industry on managing contractors, but it is applicable to all industries. EEF also produce a good document on the same subject. I found this very useful. IOSH have recently released a document called "Global Best PRactices in Contractor Safety" All of the above will be useful reference for what you are trying to do. Hope this helps. Regards, Nick
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 June 2002 10:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Thomas Cathy I've e-mailed you a copy of a pre-qualification questionnaire that I use. Hope it's of use. Regards Rob
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 June 2002 13:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Cathy Denomme I am refering to anyone who is not an employee. This could mean that we hire a construction company to do a project or it could mean that we hire a company to cut our grass or paint our building. We hire many companies to do specific work for us and need to make sure that they follow legislated health and safety practices and safe work methods. I am trying to figure out what kind of information I need from them in order to decide if they are a good "risk" and should be hired. Cathy
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 June 2002 13:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Cathy Denomme Nick Thank you for the information but I do not know the acronyms! HSE, EEF - Please tell me what they mean and if I can find them on the web. Do you know if I can contact IOSH and ask them for the Best Practices? I appreciate the help Cathy
Admin  
#7 Posted : 07 June 2002 13:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Cathy Denomme Rob Thank you very much for the information. It is wonderful! Cathy
Admin  
#8 Posted : 13 June 2002 10:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan Cathy Dundee College in Scotland produced a contractors code of practice that you may be able to adopt to your own regulatory requirements. You can download it from the following URL; http://www.web-safety.co...ownloads/CONTRACTORS.doc Best Wishes Ciaran
Admin  
#9 Posted : 13 June 2002 12:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neal Robertson Cathy, There are 4 forms for assessing and dealing with contractors available to download at http://members.lycos.co.uk/sbsf - all in word format, feel free to adapt. Hope this is of some use
Admin  
#10 Posted : 15 June 2002 23:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie Sorry for the delay in responding since my original query regarding type of contractor. In addition to advice given please be aware that if you are engaging contractors to carry out contruction or maintenance work on premises you may well, depending upon the size and nature of the works, attract "the clients" duties under The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 1994.(CDM) Information can be found on the HSE web site www.hse.gov.uk click on free leaflets then click "c" and then Construction. You should then find a series of documents (many pdf) relating to the CDM regulations including one titled "Having construction work done? Duties of Clients under the CDM REgs 1994. Hope that this helps
Admin  
#11 Posted : 16 June 2002 16:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Doyle Cathy, I am sure that you know this. But one of the major problems with contractors is ensuering that what they tell you in their sometimes very smart looking company 'bumf' H & S questioners and health and safety plans, is what they are actually going to do on the site. Clients have a major resposibility to persons other than their own employees whilst working on their site. I have always found it favourable to select a number of good replies and then go and audit them on a site they are working on, you could then build a prefered contractor database from which you have some comfort that they are going to do what they say. But don't rely on it, audit them on your site as well. HSE = Health and Safety Executive EEF = Engineering Employers Federation Best regards Cathy Jim