Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 June 2002 16:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Richardson I am at present setting up my system in line with OHSAS 18001. I have been using the standard OHSAS 18002 as my guidence and I will be ready to go for accreditation in late January 03 (hopefully). To my dismay, I have been informed that BSI will not be able to officially audit the company because there is no accreditation body. They will, however give us a piece of paper that states we are working to the specified standard. Is this piece of paper worth anything or am I putting all my time and effort into a lame duck. Can anybody give me advice on where we stand with gaining official accreditation to this standard. Thanks in advance Dave
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 June 2002 16:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Hutchings Dave, I have just e-mailed you directly regarding this. Regards, Ian Hutchings DNV Consulting
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 June 2002 09:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt Ian, Appreciate your discretion as there's bound to be a bit advertising involved! But what you say should be of wide general interest. Couldn't you post a sanitised version here so we can all get a summary of the current position? Allan
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 June 2002 10:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi Dave, As far as I am aware,no certification body in the world so far has obtained accreditation for OHSAS 18001 from a national accreditation body. UKAS in UK cannot do so because its MOU with DTI does not include it! There have been inputs from contributors to this forum on the background to OHSAS 18001 etc. I will e-mail it to you directly, as I do not want to repeat it here. I understand the Dutch & American accreditation bodies want to do so, but I doubt whether they have accredited any body so far. One of the main issues with OHSAS 18001 is that it is NOT an international standard, unlike its counterparts such as the ISO 14001 & ISO 9001. This is partly due to the "sensitivities" of the international standards process, even within ISO that is subject to "consensus" and voting by constituent members of ISO. BSI's proposals to ISO have not been carried forward on 2 occasions as there was an informal agreement that only ILO's Occupational Health & Safety "agency" ILO-Worksafe is the representative body that should do so. This has led to the publication of ILO-Worksafe guidelines on Occupational Health & Safety Management Systems for both national (i.e. country) level and organisation (i.e. company) level. In addition, the priorities of ILO-Worksafe are to address and support the implementation of all its conventions, recommendations etc in member countries. This makes sense because that is what is required in the developing countries that do not have a mature national occupational health & safety system. My personal view is that there is apprehension amongst some stakeholders that "certification" is primarily being pushed thro' by those who will profit from it etc. Also, there is genuine concern on the indirect domino/disproportionate effect it may have on small business should they be required to have certification just to be in the supply chain. Last, but not least, even in the publication of the British Standard, BS 8800, no consensus was reached on certification, hence it was published without lending itself to the certification process. It should be noted that both ISO 9001 & ISO 14001 were predominantly British Standards (BS 5750 & BS 7750) that could be certificated! Coming back to your question, my personal view is that it is one of the only "universal" OHSMS system adopted by certification bodies available --the other being proprietary audit systems used by ROSPA, BSC, Du Pont, ISRS etc. Most of the reputed certification bodies follow similar criteria for OHSMS audits as they do for the ISO 9001 & ISO 14001 series. This includes their auditor certification by IRCA. What you need to recognise is that as is the case with obtaining certification of any management system, there are advantages,disadvantages, costs attached and what you/your organisation wants to get out of it. The bottom line, I guess is that is it value for "money" for your organisation?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 June 2002 11:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis I think Ian will be saying that there are subtle distinctions between certification and accreditation. The latter is not possible at this moment but I understand that one or two national bodies will be issuing acccreditation based on OHSAS in the next 12 months. I know DNV and some other auditing/accreditation bodies intend to use these asa available. I do think there are fears about accreditation, the main arguement I have heard is that some people will believe they will automatically comply with legislation if accreditted. This has not happened with the environmental however. I also have heard the argument about varying national standards in safety - again this has not been aproblem environmentally. The political fall out with ILO is likely to delay final ISO approval, in my view, for the forseeable future. Bob
Admin  
#6 Posted : 14 June 2002 14:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman L'Association Française d'Assurance Qualité (AFAQ) the french association charged with accreditation to ISO 9000 and 14000 have informaed me that they are prepared to certify companies as being in conformance with hsas18000 and that they have done this a number of times since the beginning of 2001. However, they say that in practice they have more "auditors" than "auditees" Merv Newman
Admin  
#7 Posted : 18 June 2002 10:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Richardson I would just like to say thanks to all the responses for my question. Especially to Jay, that information was invaluable to my presentation to my management team. I am looking at being ready to go for accreditation in the new year if by then accreditation is available. If not I will still have a workable management system. If any other site is working towards this standard then maybe we could swap some ideas. We are already accredited to ISO 14001, 9001. Thanks again to all Dave