Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 June 2002 16:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw Does anyone know of or posess a training video which outlines the hazards associated with working with phenol? Failing that has anyone put together a training programme on the specific hazards of working with phenol?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 June 2002 10:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne Sarah, I think one of the videos I've got on lab safety deals with using phenol (e.g. in phenol/chloroform extractions), but it's only a small part of the video. It is of course only small-scale use of phenol. If you think this may be of use, let me know. Diane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 June 2002 11:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Sarah You have not stated, as noted by Diane, whether you are lab-scale or proces plant scale. On the lab scale the hazards are best looked at in the context of any other chemical which has toxic and acidic properties, which is also water and solvent soluble and therefore is readily absorbed through all layers of the skin. Its melting point is also relatively low but I don't have it to hand. The major problem is that people's perception of it is often as an antiseptant/disinfectant in such as coal tar soaps and the original lifebouy soap, if you can remember it. Carbolic acid is the common term for it. The toxity is high 64 sq inch coverage of the skin with 100% phenol is almost always fatal without rapid treatment. Copious water wash/drench is the best followed by rapid medical aid is the simplest treatment. The treatment for ingestion is the standard water to drink and hospital rapidly. Pegmeths(Polyethylene Glycol in Methylated Spirits) used to be used as a neutralising swab but its use has virtually ceased I understand. The emphasis has to be on the correct use of PPE. Industrial processes where the phenol is not 100% enclosed must rely on full body protection with PVC or other resistant overalls and full face protection. In the laboratory the amounts used would not normally require more than eye protection and gloves in addition to normal labwear. You will need to assess this seperately for the tasks being performed. Video wise - Isn't anyone in the Chemical industry reading this?? Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 June 2002 14:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw Sorry I was not more specific. I was looking for a video for production/packing volumes. We handle phenol in 25kg, 50kg and 200L drums both as a solid (supposed to be free flowing crystals), and as a liquid. We carry out manufacturing operations using it and also bulk-break the product for packing into laboratory reagent size packs eg 100ml, 500ml, 500g, 1kg and 2kgs. We also handle lab samples for analysis. I was hoping for a video as this often helps get the message across better when there are example pictures of burns, or someone describing their experience from an exposure. As you rightly point out Bob, many people think this substance is relatively innocuous and some even like the smell (I can remember the soap). We have done the COSHH assessments and we upgraded the PPE as a result of the change in exposure limits by the HSE CHAN sometime back. However after an accident involving this material the HSE have advised us to do more indepth awareness for those chemicals such as phenol which have "special hazards". Hence the request for a video. Thanks to the response I have had, I will have a lot of material to do an excellent PowerPoint presentation. Does anyone have any photos of Phenol burns? This would round off the presentation. Sarah
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 June 2002 07:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Dear Sarah I can vouch for the toxicity. One of my contemporaries from my Chemistry class was walking along the lids of a line of drums of phenol. One of the lids gave way, resulting in his leg going into the phenol, and he subsequently died. Not a chemical to be messed around with. Jane
Admin  
#6 Posted : 14 June 2002 14:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw Jane Thank you for the details of the accident, It is always very sad to hear when an accident has such dramatic consequences. It is always easier to get the message across when you have real situations to use. Would you be agreeable to me using the details you have given? Sarah
Admin  
#7 Posted : 14 June 2002 15:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Roberts Sarah, I do not have any videos on phenol but have had a lot of experience with it in my previous existance in the petrochemical industry I worked on a high volume production unit. It is very toxic and works by paralising the brain thus shutting down bodily functions. It is easily absorbed through the skin and is difficult to remove. It has to be leeched out of the skin by the use of pegmeths or water and rapid response is essential. Phenol burns are not like other acid/caustic burns they appear as white blotches on the skin and in severe cases sometimes has a reddish outline. In any cases of contact with phenol medical attention should be brought to the patient as soon as possible whilst continuing to wash the effected area with water/pegmeths. The importance of full PPE protection cannot stressed too much especially with the use of crystals which can lodge in clothing and footwear if they are not protected fully.I too have been involved with a number of serious incidents two of which resulted in long hospitalisation but fortunately no fatalities. If you would like more information please e-mail me Regards Phil Roberts
Admin  
#8 Posted : 17 June 2002 10:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis It is good to know that pegmeths is still the best - us golden oldies will go on forever!! My own contact with the chemical in bulk ceased in 1981 with the shutdown of a company which is best remembered by where it was situated on the bank of the river Trent. Easy-Teaser for the day. The fatality I knew of concerned a driver who slipped into the access port on top of his tanker up to his thigh level on one leg. Full impervious coveralls were worn but it had a pinhole and was not immediately seen. the area of affected leg was a little on the low side at around 48sq ins. I think most of your effort has to be on the hazards and the burn treatment. Interestingly the whitening is I understand because of the defatting effects of the substance. Bob