Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 June 2002 11:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Crookes Whilst it is heartening in its justification, to see that the construction boss of a company responsible for the deaths of a father and son in a tunnel kiln collapse (The Big Issue,this week), it yet again highlights the issue that too often big businesses are able to hide behind indistinct responsibilities within their management structure. Once again, we see SMEs taking an unfair 'hit', that whilst it is perfectly justifiable, is not extended to larger organisations. Corporate killing must be moved to the very top of the agenda and brought in with all expediency to eliminate this disparity. Discuss.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 June 2002 11:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Crookes Oops! I mean that the construction boss was jailed for 18 months-that'll teach me to edit properly!-sorry!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 June 2002 15:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Emma Cundiff The Cynical View. SME are a easy target, its easier to find the way to the top whereas in your larger company its much more difficult. Added to that, SME's do not tend to be political animals no luxury of lobbying those in power or the funds to make substantial donations to the party in power. I don't hold out much hope of this government progressing corporate manslaughter legislation as there is too much pressure from the large organisations not to do so. So until political parties are funded by other means I can't see any meaningful legislation introduced. So this doesn't help us as practitioners nor does it provide any comfort to the victims and families of corporate negligence as those with the power to change escape prosecution. Perhaps someone at IOSH should leave the cosy confines of the safe midlands and trundle down to Westminster and lobby some politicians. Now there's a thought!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 June 2002 18:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood Surely we should be concentrating on improving standards - not 'hanging' people as a result of blame! I realise there needs to be some deterrent but the big boys will always find a suitable way to defend their accountabilities by throwing money at it. For the SMEs, we don't need Corp Manslaughter Regs since they can 'get' them anyway. One of the dangers in having such a law will be who swings for it? Just because a Board appoints a H&S Director - should he swing? Or maybe it should be the Chairman and CEO, or just the CEO, or perhaps the Company Secretary? It's a team effort running a big comapny so maybe they should all go to jail, shut down the company and give back what's left to the shareholders! Now there's a point - what about the shareholders - they own the company and are provided with all relevant information so should they be partly responsible? No wonder this is taking so long to sort out! As for IOSH lobbying, I think not, as they may not exactly be helping many of their Members!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 June 2002 13:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker I agree with Steve to a large extent. Emma, I’m a member of both IOSH and one of the big unions. The day IOSH start doing as you wish my membership ceases; the day my union stop lobbying, my membership for that ceases. This is not a job for IOSH, it needs to stick to its impartial stance. George, unfortunately you are most likely right; hopefully if something does alter with this law is might concentrate a few minds and H&S will rise up the agenda. The company that I work for are not prepared to do anything unless they are forced to. Incidentally whatever happened to Prescott’s “revitalising”, other that a lot of talk.