Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 June 2002 15:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Not exactly a proffesional journal i know, but I was flicking through the News of the World Sunday Magazine and found an interesting letter on Hilary Jones' medical advice page. A lady had written saying that she had to stand for long periods at work, and was suffering excruciating pains in her back and legs as a result. Doctor Hilary's advice? Surely to inform your employer so that they can investigate, review the risk assessment, provide support, physiotherapy, change the job, etc.etc.? Not a bit of it, Dr. Hilary recommends well padded shoes and neoprenes supports for her back and knees. Is there a more blatant example of treating the symptom and not the cure? Not once does he mention reporting this to her employer (essentially a legal requirement for her under the Management Regs). If this most high profile of doctors fails to give this basic advice, what chance to we have with everyday GP's? Any thoughts?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 June 2002 12:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods I work for a charity that gives free OSH advice and see many cases similar to the one you mention. Many of them are older people who have had it drilled into them over the years that you expect your work to leave it's mark on your health in some way. To quote my father in-law "you expect to get hurt by your work". Isn't it time that there was a concerted effort to create a partnership between OSH proffessionals and health care proffessionals? The outcome of such a co-ordinated approach could reduce the number of people suffering work related ill health later in life and save the tax payer a small fortune. Does this sound to easy?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2002 15:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Nick Have you tried to contact Hilary to straighten him out? Regards Paul Leadbetter
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 June 2002 08:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Thought about it, but didn't think he'd listen to a pleb like me. Nick
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 June 2002 09:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Probably won't need straightening as he will be wearing his support belt!! Bob