Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 June 2002 10:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Rees I know that I am getting old, and my eye sight may not be what it used to be, but I can't find any reference within the Fire Regs to a legal requirement for a fire risk assessment to be carried out. I know that this is a good best practice, but where is the legal requirement - I have an obnoxious Facilities Manager that I need to get on side! Thanks for any help Pete
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 June 2002 10:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Peter, Fire Precautions (Workplace) Regs 1997 (amended 1999). Part 3 is called "amendments to Management of Health & safety at Work Regs 1992". The requirement for carrying out a Fire RA was actually added to the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regs 1999 alongside the duty to carry out general risk assessments (Regulation 3). Hope this helps (and makes sense!) Regards, Nick
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 June 2002 10:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By P Hocking Good morning Peter, To answer your question, The fire precautions workplace regs amended 1999, amend the Management regs (1999) explicitly (3) to include fire risk assessment. Taking into account Pt 2 of the fire Regulations concerning fire fighting, fire detection, emergency routes and exits and thire maintenance. If in doubt ask the fire safety officer at your local fire service, I have always found them helpful in very practical ways, as they have generally been at the sharp end. Hope this helps Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 June 2002 12:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karl Curtis Peter I agree with the other respondents and would add that I have found the following website useful in compiling the risk assessment. The site is www.fpa-fireriskassessment.com Karl