Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 June 2002 17:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Doreen Geoghegan What are the standards and regs for the safety of students undertaking studies in electrical engineering. What is best practice in relation to working on live electrical equipment and testing? In Ireland the electrical regs do not apply to research or testing. Are there any educational institutes who can help?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2002 07:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Dear Doreen This is my personal opinion, but on the basis that a) students are inexperienced and often do daft things; b) the possession of educational qualifications does not, in general, improve their ability to do things safely; c) you are educating them to take their place in the world of work; d) they are not expendable, nor are they immortal, I would be inclined to apply the regulations that are in force in the normal workpace to their activities. As for live working, one important criterion is whether it is a cause of danger - so at 5 V it does not. Quite strict criteria apply in the UK regarding working live in circumstances where danger may arise. Jane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2002 11:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip McAleenan Doreen, all employers have a duty in respect of anyone who may be affected by their work activity. Students therefore come within the scope of people who are affected by the activity of the college, but much more directly so than for example a customer. College staff teaching the students are required to be competent and competence requires that they carry out their work in such a manner that will cause no injury to themselves or others. In addition, as the students are learning their craft with view to being employed in that area, it in incumbent upon their teachers to ensure that they too become competent with the same requirement that competence includes ability to work safely. Thus all the safety requirements and measures that would be required of employees must also be applied to your students. I hope this helps, Philip
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 June 2002 12:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Dodson Some time ago (1986)HSE published Guidance Note GS34: Electrical safety in departments of electrical engineering. Although overtaken by the legislation it does contain some practical advice which may helpful. You do need to read it in conjunction with the legislation because some of the guidance is not appropriate today. I assume it's out of print but copies are still available, eg on on-line h&s info sources.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 June 2002 09:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor In addition to the duties of the Health and Safety at Work, etc Act as mentioned above, the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 will be applicable. A number of publications include guidance on electricity which can be applied in education including those from the HSE, CLEAPSS Schools Science Service and the Association for Science Education.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 June 2002 12:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Doreen Just a thought as you must have EC directive equivalents/derivatives of the UK H&S Management Regs and these will require some form of risk assessments and hence justify your use of the electrical regs as a standard of good practice. You could also contact IOSH at the Grange and ask them to put you in contact with Wilson Lambe who I think will be much more familiar with the Irish situation than I am. Bob