Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 June 2002 16:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sharon Morgan
I have to design a Health & Safety and Staff handbook. Can anyone help me out with some advice or suggest some reading material for insperation.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 June 2002 12:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy
Sharon,

You might want to get the HSE basic guides to manual handling, COSHH, office safety etc etc. These should inspire and of course, they will be accurate.

The exact content of your handbook will vary depending on your business; you may need to include transport, ForkLift Trucks, machinery, working at height........

There are companies that will sell you very basic generic guides to most H&S topics, one such company is Hefti PLC Tel 0800 169 55 35 email sales@heftiplc.com. They have a wide range of booklets, posters etc and will sell you a pack of 10 sample booklets for about £30.

Whether you write your own or contract someone to write it for you is obviously up to you, it is a balance between a generic book that should be 100% accurate and a company specific booklet that may need to be revised a few times before you get it right.

Good luck

Regards

Andy.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 June 2002 11:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan
Sharon

A couple of years ago an organisation I worked with had a similar request as yourself and the choices were, something off the shelf or something more relevant to the work.

In the end the choice was to produce a sturdy pocket safety book (A6 sized), based on the organisation's risk assessments and displayed in a simple "do - don't" format. The benefit of this approach is that the organisation's safety philosophy permeates throughout the book and is not just an adjunct to a standard text book.

The cost of this option obviously depends on volume. I will e-mail a sample of the book to let you see the format.

Hope this helps you to make your mind up, and if I can assist further just give me a call.

Best wishes
Ciaran

Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 June 2002 22:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Dawes
Hi Sharon

Is your handbook to do with personal safety or general workplace safety?

If it is the former get in touch with me as I can certainly help you.

Mark Dawes.
Director & National Coach Tutor NFPS Ltd.