Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 June 2002 11:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pollington Hi all, We are increasingly taking on agency workers who don't speak English as a first Language. I'm trying to put together some guidance for my collegues in HR so they will be able to assess whether a person has enough understanding to ensure their safety and their ability to do the job. Has anyone gone through this and produce anything that I could use as a base to start from. I've tried the net but could not find anything. Regards Chris.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 June 2002 12:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Chris, Of course it depends on the nationality of the staff but it may be easier if they are European. In my opnion, if your safety signs conform to the regs then you will be covered in that aspect as they should all be pictorial based. Have you contacted the agency that supply the staff. We employ overseas (European) agency staff and our agency translated our H&S induction and information material into the correct language, your agency should also do this for you. There is already some translated material out there just depends on what nationality you are going to employ. Phone HSE books and/or Highfield publications Tel: 01302 391999 they may be able to help. If you confirm the nationality, I may be able to help. Regards Andrew
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 June 2002 14:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pollington Andrew, Thanks for that, in the main they are European and generally can speak enough to get by. This week I was assessing some Vietnamese workers to check their level of both verbal and written communication. Chris.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 June 2002 14:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor You can get some simple translations of text on http://world.altavista.c.../gben/pos/babelfish/trns