Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 June 2002 12:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard We are an FE college and some of our recreation lecturers take students out into the hills for adventure training such as climbing, abseiling, kayaking etc. We have always supplied such PPE as we think is reasonable, but of late this has stretched a bit. Hard hats, good boots, Goretex and the like I can justify, but we are now getting claims for such things as sports bras and designer polo shirts. Anyone have any experiences to share, or guidance to offer? On the same subject I have suggested that the College either gives an allowance, or arranges a contract with a local outdoor activity supplier, but I am told this is not permitted, and the PPE has to be bought, and then issued, by the employer. While this may be the letter of the law, surely it is fairly common practice for employers to allow up to certain price and for the employee to make up the difference if something extra is desired? Be grateful for comment Richard
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 June 2002 12:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Richard, If as an employer, you supply PPE that is 100% suitable and sufficient and yet the employee requests a different type for reasons of style only then yes, it is accepted practice to ask employees to cover the price difference for the item. The area is a little grey however, because you must ensure that the request is for style reasons and not comfort or fit. When you discuss underwear, thermal clothing is widely supplied, it depends on your risk assessment of the dangers and whether the requested item will minimise the risk of injury. Boundaries will often be tested, speak to other similar organisations and match good practice. Regards Andy.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 June 2002 12:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ed Carter Richard, Can you not arrange that your groups use a commercially, run organisation for your adventure training. Most of these provide all necessary PPE, and also have staff qualified to the necessary level for the activities they run. Certainly when in the private sector training organization, this was how we approached the situation. It also covers insurance issues and assists in transferring the risks in somewhat. I now work in FE and this is the route we take for most adventure training activities. Hope this helps. Ed
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 June 2002 16:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Richard, I'm not sure how you could class sports shirts & bra's as PPE. Shoes, helmets, foul weather clothing yes, but I would need to be convinced by other learned colleagues on this matter. Seems to me to be a means of getting "something for nothing". How would a risk assessment be carried out to decide whether a female required a sports bra? I can just see the queue of old H&S officers forming now!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 June 2002 10:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie PPE is designed to reduce risk to the individual, I don't see any circumstances where a desiner polo shirt could be classed as PPE. Carry out a risk assessment for the activities and where appropriate supply PPE, hats, gloves, boots etc. all offer protection from the increased risk resulting in outdoor activities. A sports bra, while it may be more comfortable, does not reduce the risk to the individual. I am sure giving all your male lecturers CK underwear would improve comfort, and this is where you may end up. Any PPE must be purchased to mitigate against a specific risk.