Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 June 2002 12:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Haroon Rasheed Tabani
Can anyone ever experience or knowledge of skill based risk assessment competency? The concern is: we have 3000 work specs. to be risk assessed which will take years to complete. If we categorized them via technician skill and competency it will reduce to 168. Take an example, a technician is competent to work on a pump. If risk assessment of pump be included as a part of his competency that may help to have him the information of risk associated with the pump because of his competency. The idea has been communicated to me by our engineering risk assessment co-ordinator and I need someone to further guide me. Thanks
Haroon Tabani
Safety Manager
Hub Power Station
Pakistan
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 June 2002 12:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Hutchings
I am slightly confused by your request. My advice would be to look at the over all number of tasks as units that have to be completed. Risk assess the known tasks either as a stand alone task or as a number of tasks needed to work on a complete system. This may reduce the process.
It is possible to look at the tasks that an individual may need to carry out and then tag these against that position. You can then create a risk assessment log that will identify safety criticial tasks and then high, medium and low risk tasks.
You need to firstly ensure that the person/s carrying out the assessments are competent.

It is then very important that the staff carrying out the work are suitably trained to ensure that the risk controls are part of the system of work. You may need to do some sort of job safety analysis as a starting point to identify the critical tasks.
At the end of all this you will need to demonstrate a clear link between each post, the work they carry out and the related risks assessments and controls for that work.
The process for informing the worker about the risks and controls is very important and this can be merged completely into the training and safety briefing process.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Ian