Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 June 2002 16:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By sitewarden ( PAUL)
My apologies to all the members and guest's of these forum’s for breaking the rules of this site.
With kind regards Paul
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 June 2002 17:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster
Not quite sure what you have done wrong, Paul, to have nearly all the references to your site deleted. Your site appeared to be non-commercial & free of charge......unless, of course, I missed the offending posting.

I recall web-safety.com getting the moderator treatment some while ago, but then they did have part of the site for paid up members only so they were regarded as commercial.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 June 2002 11:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
I'd thought the idea was commendable, the more we share the more we learn. Now I can't find the web site address.

Moderator/s - is there something we should know? It sometimes seems to be a very tight line we walk when contributing to this forum, and I didn't see anything contributed by Paul that would have caused offence.

Geoff
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 June 2002 17:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Charleston
I agree with John and Geoff that the reasons behind telling Paul he was in the wrong are not at all obvious to me, and presumably other regular readers as well.

What's more, I feel like I have been participating in something illicit by reading his postings, visiting his website and finding things that interested me!

Every case of censoring should be justifiable so come on moderator(s), please do tell us what the problem was.

Paul: Can I suggest you include your full name and contact details on your website, rather than just an e-mail address? Apart from whatever issue is subsequently raised by the moderators I must say that I have found your site to be beneficial and highly commendable, given its non-commercial approach.

Mike
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 June 2002 21:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin R. Bessant
Dear All,

"Sitewarden" Paul unfortunately breached the IOSH rules which do not permit Direct Advertising on the Website Forums. Users of the Forum who have their own websites may mention them in a response to an enquiry if it contains useful information to the subject, but may not directly advertise them.

After much discussion by the Moderating Team, Paul was contacted and advised of his error and his postings removed.

All users of the website forums who are either IOSH members or non member guests are asked to comply with the site guidelines.

The Moderators have no wish to get involved with any non IOSH websites, but wish them and especially Paul good fortune in his ventures.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Regards,

Martin Bessant - Lead Moderator.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 30 June 2002 08:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Charleston
Thanks for the clarification Martin. I appreciate that site advertising could easily get out of hand and I appreciate that you and your colleagues debated the situation before making the decision you did. In this respect you are acting on behalf of us all.

The result does seem too harsh on what is a perfectly good, not-for-profit offering. More importantly, if anybody else wants to follow up this debate by looking at Paul's offerings, his website address has subsided into oblivion - and I am NOT convinced that such a result is in anybody's interest.

I have no involvement with Paul or his site, so feel unrestricted in recommending it as worthwhile and a valuable addition to free H&S material on the worldwide web. Try it out!

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/safetysite/

From a moderator's perspective, perhaps this posting provides a model for the future - stop the direct advertising as you have done, but feel free to recognise the site as non commercial in your explanation, and permit such addresses to remain accessible.

Mike
Admin  
#7 Posted : 01 July 2002 11:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tim
Paul

This is no time for apologies (from you anyhow). What you are offering is a genuine service, to enhance safety and share knowledge.

What is the problem with that. I also recall web-safety.com getting the same treatment and as I recall their intentions were also the same as your own.

The argument that IOSH does not promote non-IOSH sites or has a problem promoting commercial sites is negated by the fact that they do exactly that in their links page, where several commercial (non-IOSH) sites happily receives IOSH recognition.

Can anyone in IOSH explain this disparity?

Tim

Admin  
#8 Posted : 01 July 2002 18:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
I have just checked and cannot find paul's non commercial site on the links page. Why not ?

Also, I would like to know why I now find certain words on the chat page and elswhere highlighted and underlined giving links to very commercial sites ie sixweekbody.com (in six weeks you too can have a body like angela rippon) Have you been hacked or have I ?

Merv Newman

I have now put pauls address in my favourites file. Suggest you do the same - unless our webmaster agrees that it should be included on the links page, which seems the fairest thing to do. Bon courage, paul

Merv Newman
Admin  
#9 Posted : 02 July 2002 13:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
I've held back commenting so I could push this back to the top.

Paul, don't apologise; I fully agree with others who have supported you. You have my admiration for creating a non-commercial resource for us all. I can only think that the IOSH reaction is their embarrassment as a "leading light" in H&S that this site (forum excepted) is so poor where real information resources are concerned. As others have stated the other excellent site, Web-safety.com is commercial and thus IOSH reaction is understandable, but in your case that is not true.

Anyone who has not done so, ought to add Paul's site to their favourites list.

Martin, I guess you expected this reaction and am sure you often wonder why you do such a thankless task. However, I do sometimes wonder if IOSH is trying to further understanding of H&S or rake in more money.

Finally, any chance of a spell check on this chat forum.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 03 July 2002 23:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Woitch
First of all my keyboard is on its funny half hour. SECOND IM from Ireland and we are long winded…the only punctuation I have is a FULL STOP……….. i am new to this forum, hopefully I will be allowed to stay
I am just starting in Health and safety I have checked out a lot of web sites for information and not one of them have come close to the standard of THAT SITE WE SHALL MENTION The fact that the information is sent in by other safety officers who want to share their knowledge and its FREE………… if its free will you contribute to it...........each of us are woking in different environment just think some simple guidelines could help some one sone where can you imagine what a source like that be…………. I hope the site will continue…………….
ALAN
Admin  
#11 Posted : 04 July 2002 14:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment
Paul
Agree with most of the respondents above - top site, put it in 'Favourites', used one thing already, hopefully can contribute something in the future - well done.

Have always been bothered why IOSH, with the expertise and funds available to them , do not provide more of the same. Sometime ago, on the 'old' forum I expressed amazement at the fact that IOSH resourced a floppy disc for members that would tell them dial codes and what town/city they related to (anyone remember that disc?).

Highly useful at a time when I was really struggling to find decent safety related pictures / clip-art for a number of Powerpoint presentations.

Thanks again Paul - IOSH, be embarassed, be VERY embarassed!