Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 June 2002 21:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paddy I'd like to start a thread on the subject of loading and unloading lorries, particularly the risk of falls from height. I'm well aware of the contents of The Workplace regs (reg 13) and have the free HSE leaflet "Safe unloading of Steel Stock" (INDG 313). Presuming that risk assessment shows the level of risk to be very high, I'd like some ideas on what measures should be taken to reduce that risk. Obviously I have my own thoughts on this but I would like to hear what other people think, or what measures other workplaces have introduced to control this type of risk.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 July 2002 11:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis This is a tricky one in some ways. The normal practices usually mean the signaller/slinger accessing the wagon on top of the steel in order to sling up the load. Most incidents I have seen in this type of operation have been when the signaller does not dismount before the load is moved, a "slight" nudge causing a loss of balance and subsequent fall. I've seen all sorts of suggestions for safety lines etc but none truly successful. The provision of trailer length work platforms at each side, normally drive-in, have in my opinion been the most useful and operative friendly, and it provides a safer haven than the back of the wagon. Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 July 2002 20:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By mike alan DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY INFO ON LOADING AND UNLOADING GOODS FROM LORRIES I.E. RISK ASSESSMENTS,MINIMUM STANDARDS OF TOOLS TO CARRY OUT THE WORK,LIGHTING IN THE AREA WHERE UNLOADING. MIKE.