Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 July 2002 11:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shaun Deely We are building a large office block (14 floors)and have received proposals for window cleaning that involve one of the two above methods. As I have never used either I would be interested in the pros/ cons scenarios for both. Can anyone help?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 July 2002 16:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shaun Deely Wrong information there ....Its roof maintenance that the proposal is for. One option is the 'traditional' wire with limtied access points the second is a more flexible, retractable wire ffed from the centre of the roofspace allowing greater freedom of movement.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 July 2002 09:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Shaun I always prefer the retractable landyard systems where practicable as the length of the lanyard is always the shortest possible. I also find that the inertia reel types lock out with sudden movements and thus often prevent the fall actually taking place. The layout of fixing points is the key to avoid long lenths being extended with possible pendulums. Also be aware of how the fixing points are to be accessed. Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 July 2002 09:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor The configuration of the roof will be a determining factor in as much as if more than one length of restraint line will be needed the possibility of using the wrong one, not bothering to bring all of them, etc will tend to favour the inertia reel approach. Additioally, it's better to prevent them going over the edge than having them dangling (at risk from impaired blood circulation, etc) and needing rescue!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 July 2002 11:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles New Whilst this does not answer your question, it is my view that you (and your designers) should be considering roof edge protection for the purposes of maintenance and repair, rather than taking the PPE option, which should in any case be taken as the last resort option.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 03 July 2002 11:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Charles Would that all designers take this approach but aesthetics rule KO Bob
Admin  
#7 Posted : 09 July 2002 13:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Derek Holt As advised PPE including FPE systems should be used as a last resort. If such systems are to be employed then I would recommend a line with rope grab attached, this should be suitably anchored with the rope grab attached to the upper (fall arrest)point on a full body harness. The use of rectractable fall arrest bolcks should not be employed in a horizontal mode as they have been proved to be ineffective. They are designed and tested for use in a vertical plain as per the requirements of BSEN 390 Retractable type fall arresters. Ifthe recommended system is employed correctly then the operatives should only be in restraint and not fall arrest. It essential that all are thouroughly trained in the use of such systems by attending such courses as roof top access. One further point of consideration is the available anchorage points in relation to the working area, if either system is incorrectly rigged then a pendulum effect can occur should an operator fall over the building edge which can lead to the abrading of the line be it cable or otherwise. If you require any further advice feel free to contact me direct
Admin  
#8 Posted : 09 July 2002 14:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Some inertia reel types do perform OK horizontally althogh the block types are not well proven and remain not advised. I still hold to the intrinsically better idea of maintaining a constant tension in the lanyard. The problem also relates to the correct wearing of the harness. Look at the next 12 scaffolders you see and count the number of correctly fitted harnesses - I think it likely you will have ten fingers spare at the end of the exercise. I, like Charles, would wish and desparately hope that designers would get rid of the problem but hope dies rapidly in the construction industry. We look as though we will be killing more than 100 people a year for the years 2001-03 and we still have to contend with the need for the structure to look right. Bob
Admin  
#9 Posted : 09 July 2002 15:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Derek Holt I agree that the problem should be designed out in the first instance or at least a fixed system be installed which is always preferable to a temporary measure. To clarify my point, as training manager for the largest manufacturer of fall protection and arrest equipment I am familiar with the inability of some persons to wear a harness correctly, but this applies whatever system is employed hence the requirement for training and supervision? Having been involved with testing of retractable type fall arresters and having found that the majority do not correctly operate in a horizontal mode I would still recommend a restraint system i.e a rope and rope grab, which acts as a tensioned line preventing the fall over an edge but will also comply for fall arrest if the worst was to happen and the operator makes a mistake. One of the problems that has been found where retractables have been tried in the horizontal plain is that not only are they not specifically designed for such but also operators have a tendency to pull alot of slack from the mechanism to afford them ease of movement, if they then trip/fall over an edge my previous points are compounded with the addition of an increased shock loading to the inertia mechanism, this can then impart a shock loading to the person in excess of 6kN that being the limit for fall arrest devices and that likely to cause injury. By using a rope and rope grab the device slides along the rope with the user so there is no requirement to pull through additional slack, therefore minimising any potential fall distance and shock loading.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 09 July 2002 16:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor The problem which we have here is not being able to see the roof area in question. I have arranged for the installation of a number of systems over the years and often found the choice to be limited by the configuration of the roof with it's various structures, obstacles, etc. In a sense, there is a hierarchy of measures that can be taken in HSG33 but limiting factors can also include architects and clients! Training, a written risk assessment and safe working method are essential but, human nature being what it is, the more 'passive' the system and the less possibilities for getting it wrong the better the choice is likely to be.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 09 July 2002 21:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shaun Deely Many many thnaks for all of your comments and suggextions. The company has decided to continue with a static line system that has defined access points. Although this is not the ideal, I agree that fall prevention is far better than fall arrest, I have been briefed now to prodcue risk assessment and a safe system of work. No doubt I will, once again, be asking for your help in the not too distant future. Best Regards, Shaun
Admin  
#12 Posted : 09 July 2002 21:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shaun Deely Derek, Do you know if there is a system that would refuse access to the roof until AFTER the operator is connected to the line?
Admin  
#13 Posted : 10 July 2002 08:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis I would still use a landyard with an inertia reel integrated into it to reduce the available length in us to a minimum Bob
Admin  
#14 Posted : 11 July 2002 14:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Derek Holt Shaun, The only answer if a line system is to be used would be to ensure that the anchorages/system start points are located in a safe area well away from any hazards, the usual is a minimum of 2-3m. Access onto the roof to the safe areas could be controlled via a permit system with all access points being locked until access is required. If the access area is some way from the anchorages then a demarcated safe route could be used. The only means of ensuring correct line placement/attachment would be through supervision/training. Also remember that communication will be required with any persons on the roof and they must also be able to hear fire alarms etc and be provided with a safe evacuation route. Derek