Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 July 2002 16:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Forster
Does anybody have any ideas how to solve the problem of the ever daring fox intruding into the workplace. All genuine answers will be applauded. We have a number of schools that are being inhabited by foxes. Nobody seems to be able to assist and we are told to leave 'em alone. Fine, but the waste product is extremely offensive (COSHH). Our landscapers have tried Renodine but this did not chase old foxy off. We have nursery children falling into foxholes and caretakers PPE'd up to the eyeball - but still the sly old fox remains. Help please!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 July 2002 16:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Fryer
Richard

I am sorry not to be able to personally assist you but have to comment that the header of your posting is just superb!

On a more serious note may I suggest you contact the RSPCA who have special wildlife officers who may be able to assist.

No doubt you will have plenty of responses.

Malcolm
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 July 2002 10:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Fryer
Richard

You do appear to have a serious problem on your hands here, the biological hazards could be very significant.

Whilst it may possibly appear incorrect to those who love this animal I would suggest that you should consider culling. Being a school there will no doubt be severe restrictions about the use of weapons. If this has not been investigated then possibly you could obtain an exemption and subject to a suitable risk assessment use the services of a suitably qualified contractor.

The links below may possibly assist though I anticipate that you have made some very thorough investigations before posting.

Wish you well with your task.

Malcolm.

http://www.derbyfoxes.org/problems.htm
http://www.fareham.gov.u...ommunity/foxcontents.asp
http://www.innotts.co.uk/~robmel/foxproject/
http://www.wildlondon.org.uk/wildinfo/foxes.htm
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 July 2002 12:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Marshall
Richard,

I recall having seen advertisments for a type of ultrasound device, which domestic dogs and cats will not cross.

Don't know if they are made large enough for your requirements.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 July 2002 12:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett
I have seen dried lion dung (honest!)advertised as a tremendous repellent. I gather that Foxy takes a sniff and thinks that something big and hairy is lurking in the bushes. It's available from gardening catalogues and local zoos often sell it too. I believe it's treated and comes in pellet form so there shouldn't be a problem with children handling it, but to reassure parents you will probably need to put it down in the holidays/weekends and in areas that are out of bounds.

Other than that, controlling litter is a good move as it reduces food sources. Your local environmental health team may also be able to help.

If you're talking about infant/nursery schools you'll need to be sensitive as the children may get distressed if they think that a cute fox is going to be harmed (though what they'll think when it eats the school rabbit is another matter.)

Good luck!

Regards

Zoe
Admin  
#6 Posted : 03 July 2002 13:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
All you townies that have responded have given me a good laugh.
A high velocity rifle is the only cure, assuming you are too PC to get in the local hunt.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 03 July 2002 15:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Bullough
Richard - this thread shows the discussion forum at its best with a good question reaching a wide audience and provoking various ideas and suggestions, all garnished with good humour.

Some time ago I read about the lion dung method, but can't recall if it is supposed to be effective against foxes. It seems to be a simple method and worth a try. In a way it could be a variant on the solution to the problem of sparrows infesting the Crystal Palace as it was being built for the Great Exhibition. Numerous experts failed to find a suitable solution so Queen Victoria apparently asked the Duke of Wellington (I think) who simply replied "Sparrowhawks, Ma'am" - and sparrowhawks did the trick!

In due course, Richard, please let us, particularly those of us who deal with schools, know whether this problem has been resolved and by what method/s.

Admin  
#8 Posted : 03 July 2002 16:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett
I don't think the fox takes a whiff and thinks "aaah, lion, better scarper" - rather that the smell triggers a primeval flight/fright response (much the same as the average H&S adviser gets when they see the HSE coming).
Admin  
#9 Posted : 04 July 2002 13:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment
Unless you are prepared to 'do' old foxy in by shooting, trapping, gassing or poisoning then you'll just have to accept him. Save the bullets for politicians and the money for school books (or more PPE for ol' caretaker).

Ultrasonics and other deterrents such as lion poo (aka 'Silent Roar')have a very limited usefulness in the case of foxes.

Be wary of doing foxy in because there will be a reason why he stopped by in the first place. The neighbourhood is obviously providing a very nice lifestyle for him. Get rid of him and his mates or family will simply take his place. The PR implications are horrendous too. If you are going to do it, do it at midnight and pay the 'topper' extra to keep quiet.

Most wild foxes don't live long anyhow. They are either run-over or die of some disease or mange which they invariably have (don't believe any fox documentary, most foxes look scruffy, mangey, worn and malnourished - the documentary ones are all Equity member foxes and as such take care of themselves and preen regularly!). Perhaps I've just given the cure!!!!! Turn the schoolfield into a carpark for the weekend and you'll definitely convert Reynard into roadkill with a short space of time. Without the fox there can be no luminous green, gagging logs on your grass.

Now, what about neighbours cats fouling my lawns, flowerbeds etc and shredding my pond liner. Am working on some of the ideas in WWW.cathate.co.uk but any other help appreciated.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 05 July 2002 09:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan R Sole
Hi there

Foxes are notoriously difficult to catch but I do have a special set of methods that may assist.

A little known fact is that foxy cannot resist a certain sort of glacier mint (not allowed to specify as is advertising) – moderator. You just lay a long trail to where you want to move them to. It does not take too many mints as they have an excellent sense of smell – a couple of packets should do.

Another alternative that a gamekeeper told me is to thread horsehair through the mints so that when foxy eats them he gags and runs round in circles in confusion. You leap out and catch him and perform the Heinrich Manoeuvre to expel mint from airway before caging. You will then be able to release them in a more suitable area.

Wear plenty of PPE as foxy Pee smells terrible and he will try to bite you. I still have mange from my last encounter with foxy.

Let me know how you get on.

Best of luck

Alan
Admin  
#11 Posted : 05 July 2002 12:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Martin
Whilst these are all great suggestions and well worth a try I am having trouble getting my expenses past my boss as it is. Last months potential solutions ( sausages, landmines, a copy of The Fox & The Hound on video for research purposes ) only just went through but I'll need results if I start trying to claim back for horse hair, mints and lion dung.

Plus we now have birds nesting in our warehouse who seem able to produce twice their body weights in droppings every few hours. Oh, where will it end!