Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 July 2002 13:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams I cant find the legislation that points to limiting the distance windows open in multi storey buildings. I have checked the building regs and approved document N refer's to approved document K which doenst cover it. Any suggestions on how far the window should open? Thanks Ash
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 July 2002 14:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles New Try refering to the Workplace (H S & W) Regs 1992, regs 13, 14 and 15. Reg 13 deals with the prevention of falls over 2m, and fencing of unprotected edges (amongst other items). Reg 14 deals with the safety of glazing Reg 15 deals with the safe operation of windows and vents etc. All in all you must prevent people and/or objects from falling from the window opening. Hope this helps, Charles
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 July 2002 15:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek Ashley. Not sure if this helps, but the HSE in the past have recommended a maximum opening of 100mm where there is a risk of vulnerable people falling or jumping from opening windows above the ground floor. This relates to clients or service users under the care of Social Services, but I suppose could be used in other applications.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 July 2002 09:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor The 'max 100mm gap standard' pops up in various places of guidance and standard (It used to be 4 inches in earlier days). Reference is sometimes made to not allowing a sphere of 100mm diameter to pass through. This can be applied to various gaps in railings and other parts of buildings where accessible to children. Additionally, one should avoid items in proximity and configurations of structures that would readily allow young children to scale them. I only wish that all architects would take these into account.