Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 July 2002 22:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason McQueen I was wondering what legislation applies to exterior lighting a private traffic routes? We have a situation where fork lift trucks are travelling along a route where the lights have gone resulting in near darkness but my employer is reluctant to repair them as the forklifts have rudementry lights fitted to them.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 July 2002 09:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor For a private road being part of a workplace or providing access or egress for a workplace, I believe that there is only a duty for lighting to be suitable and sufficient - which puts it into the realms of assessment by a competent person. Additionally, any part that provides a means of escape in the event of fire will need to be adequately illuminated for that purpose under fire legislation.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 July 2002 11:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt Doesn't sound very 'private' to me! This would be an attempt to evade the Workplace Regulations, right? The standards, by the way, can be found in the various CIBSE lighting guides. Allan
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 July 2002 12:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker There is also some guidance in HSG38
Admin  
#5 Posted : 09 July 2002 16:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Nice to hear from you again! I know what you mean by querying the use of the term 'private'. I was, of course, using this in the sense of not being part of a public highway - to which other legislation would apply. The CIBSE standards are good - whereas I have never been too impressed with HSG38. However, the question is one of actual legislation and that's where the situation can be 'weak' in terms of getting the employer to respond.