Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 July 2002 23:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shelly West In the lab I currently work in I am in charge of completing the weekly wipetest to screen for radioactivity in our workarea. If a reading is above the acceptable limits, we spray the area with windex to decontaminate. Is windex really enough or is there a specific product on the market to remove radioactivity.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 July 2002 07:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Dear Shelly Radioactivity is not a substance of itself, but is a property of something that is being used in the area. How you remove it therefore depends on the form it is in. For example, radioactive dusts would easily be removed with a damp cloth, whereas a radioactive grease would require a solvent. Spraying it with Windex is probably aimed at helping to wipe the radioactive substance off the surface, and will be successful if the surface is nice and smooth, and the form that it is in is easily removed by the solvent contained in Windex. Nothing you can do will alter the radioactivity of the substance that is giving the readings - you can only move it about from place to place (i.e. from the surface to the wiping cloth and then into the bin). The radioactivity will decay to its own timescale regardless of what you do. This timescale could be anything from seconds to thousands of years, depending on the radioactive substance present. I suggest you raise your concerns with your Radiation Protection Supervisor, to clarify further whether your procedures are adequate, Regards Jane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 July 2002 08:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Overbury Shelly I agree with Jane's comments but would add: 1/ You should be able to obtain details of your in-house decontamination procedures in your Local Rules (or from your Radiation Protection Supervisor). If you wish to validate/update these you should ask your RPS to consult your Radiation Protection Advisor. 2/ If you email me I can send you the info about the products that we use. As Jane indicates it's a matter of using the right type of product to suit the chemical environment. It's worth noting that some products claim to be suitable for personal decontamination whereas strong detergents may well dry out the skin. Hope these comments help Tony Overbury
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 July 2002 08:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson We use Decon for cleaning up spot contamination. But as Jane says if the isotope has bound to the work surface and it is above acceptable activity limits you may need to consider replacement. If your lab workers are following acceptable practice ie using Benchcote in spillage trays you should not be finding contamination. If you are it possibly indicates bad practice. Again referring to Janes note you must consult your RPA before changing any practices which they may have put in place.