Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 July 2002 10:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Dear All, I wonder how many of you are in a similar position? This week the company I work for paid an expensive consultant from our Insurance Brokers to come in an carry out an independant H&S audit (this was at my request to try another method of raising the profile). The day was a disaster!!! The Plant Manager (top dog) never bothered to turn up for the opening or closing meetings and only 2 out of 6 senior managers turned up for the closing meeting. One of the auditees who is responsible for maintenance, contractors and facilities informed us thsat he could not spare any time for an interview that had been arranged and communicated 2 weeks earlier and he passed us on to a maintenance technician who did not have all the answers and had no records on file. To top it all, 2 of the senior managers openly admitted to the auditor that they only pay 'Lip Service' to H&S. Now we are not talking about a back street employer with a few employees, we are talking about a factory of 350 employees that is part of a worldwide corporation employing well over 100,000 employees in about 30 different countries (the 5th largest automotive component supplier in the world). What chance have I got? Anyway, I am leaving at the end of September (had enough now) so if anyone is thinking about taking my place, and wants a warning shot, please contact me via e-mail. I would hate to think that some other poor sod was going to end up working here!!! Sorry about the moan. Regards, Paul
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 July 2002 11:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Paul I don't think you're alone. We have around 700 employees, but management will still only do the statutory minimum. Last year I was told to stop interfering with the contractors building a large extension to the premises as I was delaying the contract - all I was asking for was the odd bit of edge protection, hard hats, hearing protection etc.!! I have also been told that as an ACOP only said that employers "should", rather than "must" do something, there was no need to do it! I am sure there are many with similar tales. That is why the "Code of Practice" approach never work. The temperature in several of our offices regularly exceeds 90 degrees, but because temperature only has to be "reasonable", management says that they regard 90 as reasonable temperature. Who is to argue, and on what grounds? I'm sorry to be so pessimistic, but I believe that only the prescriptive approach, with harsh enforcement, will work. As you say Paul, we are not talking about some small back street SME, but major, locally high profile, employers Richard
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 July 2002 12:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Paul, Similarly not an SME and that meeting scenario is very familiar. Senior management making exagerated/noisy exclamations of their intent towards H&S, arranging an emergency meeting, not turning up, and asking, "how did the meeting go?" I often feel that H&S is just tolerated, but the end is in sight for me, no.. I am not retiring!!....things are progressing for us, but quickly enough? no! I feel that you can only do your best, cover your own 6, learn and then move on. Good luck with the new position Regards Andy.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 July 2002 12:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Martin The ignorant will always be with us as long as we have the current levels of enforcement and low penalties. As for us safety guys and gals I think we need training on how to handle these situations - something which my diploma training didn't cover - does the new version? We can have a rewarding career but we can also have a hard uphill struggle.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 July 2002 17:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Randall Paul, If you think that's bad try making a living by advising SME's. At least you get a salary for being ignored! Bob R
Admin  
#6 Posted : 13 July 2002 14:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Dear All, I wish I could say that I was pleased to see that I am not alone in this. Unfortunately it is a sad indictment of the British management culture and under resourced and virtually toothless enforcement bodies. Ah well, I'm off on my holidays soon so sod em all. Regards, Paul
Admin  
#7 Posted : 14 July 2002 20:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Interesting observation from a H&S professional, as an ex H&S Rep 'paying lip service' to safety by managers was a frequent moan from me and my colleagues. I am currently doing a MSc in Health and Safety Management and have often wondered when I turn professional how I might respond to apathetic managers. Last year my organisation and an individual manager was convicted of serious breaches under HASAW. The Judge accused LUL of "paying lipservice to health and safety issues" - source HSE Press Release E122:01. I shall be posting a question regarding a similar issue and looking for some interesting responses. Recently the HSE have had a blitz on construction sites across the country, in order to improve safety. In the London area 223 sites were inspected and 110 Prohibition Notices served - but, not one prosecution resulted, what kind of message does this send to the industry - break H&S laws with impunity!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 14 July 2002 22:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Gibson Re your original posting: We had a 'corporate overview' undertaken by our insurance broker. This covered five sites - approx 2500 employees. The author agreed that lack of senior management commitment was the main problem (to my face); and then submitted a report which congratulated senior management on the efforts made! I had already made my views clear to those concerned, the report was 'thrown' in my face, I leave in September. I would now like a job with a company that really does want things to improve. I don't believe in faires but I am perhaps a little optimistic. Tony Gibson MIOSH (Minor-company interest,Institute-will soon join one, Optimistic-to no avail, Stupid-maybe, Hopeful-always).
Admin  
#9 Posted : 15 July 2002 09:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis All I think I am glad to work in the proactive construction industry!!! Bob