Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 July 2002 11:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Youel Has anybody got any information re the availability of a pressure gauge for use on portable LPG cylinders? Problems with stacker / fork trucks where the LPG runs out and the truck is in the middle of an operation. Fails to danger.The driver has no indication re the ammount of gas available.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 July 2002 15:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood Bob, you could try talking to Calor and look at their web site on http://www.lpg-business....lpg_fork_lift_trucks.htm It should be easy for them to suggest a way of measuring the level of fuel left and I am sure they supply such systems or can suggest a supplier. Just please don't let anyone try a 'home made' attachment and compromise the safety of the pressure system! George
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 July 2002 09:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie I've always solved this problem by weight in the past. Is this too inaccurate for your purposes? Laurie
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2002 13:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Wilkins I'm afraid that a pressure gauge won't tell you how much liquified gas is left in the cylinder. It will in effect tell you its temperature and hence its vapour pressure - this won't change until the cylinder is very nearly empty. As Laurie said, you normally need to weigh a cylinder to tell how full it is, and maybe reset an empty (tare) weight value when the cylinder is changed. However, some cylinders do have a built-in liquid level gauge to show how full they are, and I have read somewhere that you can get a liquid crystal strip to fix to the side of the cylinder. This would work by showing the temperature difference between liquid and gas provided that the cylinder, but thinking about it may not work with a FLT which typically take the liquid from the cylinder and not vapour. Hence the gas is not being vapourised in the cylinder but externally so there may not be much temperature difference. Simon
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 July 2002 19:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By mike alan HI, OUR COMPANY HAS THREE LPG TRUCKS WHICH DO NOT HAVE GAUGES,WHEN ASKED TO SUPPLY THEM THEY NEVER APPEARED,SOME PEOPLE THINK ITS BECAUSE THE FIRM WOULD LOSE MONEY WHEN PEOPLE CHANGE A CYLINDER BEFORE IT RUNS OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF A JOB MIKE.