Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 July 2002 11:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Any Healthcare people out there have experiences of this standard/ As a general guide it's very good but I can't help but have nagging doubts about the use of a 5 x 5 system against any other. Especially when Appendix E, Table E2 uses such vague words as 'May', 'Could', 'Might', 'will' etc. Also the accompanying matrix E3 seems overloaded on the 'extreme' and 'high' categories e.g an almost certain incident that has an insignificant outcome (no injury or financial loss) is 'High' risk. Has anyone changed this matrix? Has anyone stayed with a simpler system, such as 3 x 3, despite Controls Assurance, NPSA etc. pushing the AS/NZS? Any thoughts, comments welcome. BTW My Trust has been heavily involved in implementing the CA standards but I'm being criticised by external auditors for keeping risk assessment processes anchored into a 3 x 3 method. I cannot see what the net benefits are of this system. Regards Bryn UHL, London
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 July 2002 12:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Sorry, but that last sentence relates to the AS/NZS 5x5 system.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 July 2002 12:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Bryn, Firslty, sorry but I have no experience of this standard, and do not work in the healthcare scene any more, however Our Group uses a 3x3, traffic light Risk Asses matrix, and I see the advantage as that operatives and managers alike, at all levels of experience and knowledge can understand what it is saying. Any system, 5x5 or 6x6, unless it is very objective and uses statistical data, would just be too confusing for both assessor and reader, just my opinion though. Regards Andy.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 July 2002 12:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Bryn I have adopted a 3x3 but have five categories Trivial Tolerable Moderate Substantial Intolerable The 1st and last occupy top left and bottom right respectively. Moderate covers the top right to bottom left and the rest you can spot. The categorisations are then Low, moderate, extreme harm with Highly Unlikely, Unlikely and Likely being the other measures Thus needlesticks say on this would give an assessment of moderate in my book. I have a supplementary table to define the actions required and who can undertake them at each risk level. Contact me for a fuller discussion if you wish Bob
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 July 2002 13:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Ainsworth Bryn, I also am not keen on some of the matrix that are being widely used, as to why you should be criticised for using a 3x3 beggars belief. I would have to say that as long as the assessment is suitable and sufficient and from the findings you can prioritise the risks (as per Management regs) then their should be no cause for concern. All too often I hear the arguement about the way to measure the risks and the type of matrix that should be used. We are getting too bogged down in this area, when we should be concentrating on the risks found prioritising and eliminating and/or controling. Everybody has their preference, that is why we are individuals, and lets not forget, we were'nt actually told how to do it, just that we had to do it! I use a type of nonogram based on the frequency of the task to be assessed. Continuous, Shift, Day, Week or Less, Month or Less Minor/No Injury, Serious Injury, Major, Multiple Major, Fatality. The same has been done for noise. The assessment form is in electronic version designed to accomodate these scales. You can access them on a certain site we are not allowed to mention or e-mail me. Regards Lee