Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 July 2002 16:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Dear all, A little bit of the usual excellent help and discussion please. How do you convert an ex-contractor (tools, warts an all) into an employee. We are about to employ an ex contractor as a general handyperson. Of course the usual PUWER and training issues come into play but will be slightly different as of course he has his own tried and trusted tools. The realities of buying a new set are not very practical but do I insist anyway? Get his tools assessed? Should I just get the electrical ones tested and then relax, he is a professional after all! Thanks in advance Andy.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 July 2002 12:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott I would suggest that if he is a professional than he wouldn't have a set of tools next to useless (or would he!!). I think that in your place, I would at least inspect his tool kit and ensure that all his electrical tools are registered and certified by the Company Electrician as a very minimum. The next thing would be to give him a tool allowance for his replacements and then stipulating that they must only be purchased to your exacting standards!.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 July 2002 15:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie Andy, When your contractor becomes an employee your organisation becomes responsible for the "Work Equipment" (tools)he uses at work. It does not matter significantly whether you provide them or he provides his own as in either event you are allowing them to be 'used at work' therefore you must ensure that they are safe and comply with all legal requirements. I agree with the previous response that check his tools on transfer and then include them in your checking regime.