Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 July 2002 20:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie I seem to remember seeing something about a move to reduce the first action level to 80dB, and the second level to 85. Did I dream this, or has anybody any idea how firm a proposal this is? (Draft EU Directive maybe?) I may need to buy some new equipment, and I don't want to get something which has to be modified in a couple of years. Laurie
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 July 2002 09:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Ainsworth Laurie No you did'nt dream it. The Swedish Presidency introduced a proposal for a noise directive in january 2001. this would repeal the 1986 noise directive (86/188/EEC), which became the Noise at Work Regs 1989. The main points were: 1. The action values of 90dB(A) & 85dB(A) be reduced to 85dB(A) & 80dB(A). 2. Lower action value 0f 112Pa for impulse noise instead of 200Pa. There is a lot more included in the directive which you should be able to locate on the HSE web site. I believe they agreed at an upper and lower limit of 87dB(A) & 80dB(A) respectively. Expected to be introduced in Autumn 2002 with 3 years for implimentation. I would strongly advise if you are looking at buying equipment and/or designing controls around the current levels, then get a copy of the directive before you start. Hope this is of some use. Regards Lee
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 July 2002 11:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott If you have access to a H&S Database similar to Barbour Index then search for Physical Agents (Noise) Directive and this will give you the blurb!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 July 2002 12:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott Sorry, you could also try the HSE, Physical Agents Noise Policy unit Tel 020 77176275.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 18 July 2002 15:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker I might be missing something here but Noise at work regs state exposure to noise should be reduced to the lowest level reasonably practicable (reg6). Action levels are "only" where defenders etc (legally)come into play. Nothing to do with taking action about noise. Incidentally, I already use the (new) recommended levels on the basis that this is considered to be good practice in the light of current knowledge. Ref: civil cases against asbestos use, post knowledge that it was dangerous. Why does this effect buying of equipment?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 19 July 2002 08:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek Laurie, Further to the previous responses I would suggest that you get yourself onto the HSE's electronic mailing list which will give you up to date information on the progress of the Noise Directive. If you want to get onto the mailing list, I suggest that you e-mail Rebecca.Hathaway@hse.gsi.gov.uk from the Physical Agents Policy Unit.