Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 July 2002 10:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frances Robinson Can anyone tell me of any resources dealing with asbestos in old TV's and radios please Frances
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 July 2002 17:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt I think I must be in the wrong profession.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 July 2002 09:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood I have had previous experience of working with old TVs and radios dated since the mid '50s and I have never come across what I would have regarded as asbestos in any observable quantity, except in some old valve devices where 'mains dropper' resistors were used to provide lower than supply voltages - use in very old tellies and radios. These were sometimes mounted on (probably) asbestos to insulate against the heat as these resistors often glowed a bit! I never ascertained if was asbestos but the quantity was tiny if it was and it was usually undisturbed until thrown away. Anyway, I am still about! You could talk to one of the radio or TV companies and query this but I would be surprised if any asbestos at all had been used since the 'valve' era. Perhaps some of the early power solid state devices used in transmuitters etc could be suspect, but the BBC would know about that and you could ask them (have a look at their safety web site).
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 July 2002 10:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frances Robinson To Mr George Wedgewood Thanks so much for your constructive reply. Frances