Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 July 2002 10:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Matthew Smith Hi there, I was wondering if any one could help me in quoting specific legislation for the location of fire extinguishers. I have a manger who prefers to store them in cupboards so they are not damaged. I would like any info to state that they should be left where people can easily access them and are easily identified when walking on the premises, or something to that effect. Thanks for your help.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 July 2002 11:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter S Matthew, have a read of FIRE SAFETY An Employer's Guide pg 58 Fire Fighting Equipment. They should normally be located in conspicuous positions on escape routes, preferably near exit doors.If for any reason extinguishers are placed in positions hidden from direct view, the H&S (Safety Signs & Signals) Regs require that their location should be indicated by signs. 'Out of sight' could well lead to 'out of mind' and they might not be checked (just as a thought). Peter
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 July 2002 12:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles New Also look at your Fire Certificate (if you have one). The Certificate plan should detail the appropriate location of fire extinguishers, as identified by the local fire authority.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 July 2002 12:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker If I had my way, they would all be located in the nearest skip. Fires become big in a matter of seconds, that time should be used in getting out. I prefer the idea of the firefighters to concentrating on putting out fires rather than looking for dead heros.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 24 July 2002 13:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor They should be used by trained people Jim - who will be told not to tackle any fire larger than a waste paper basket. It is estimated that 8 or 9 fires out of 10 are dealt with by persons other than the fire brigade. The consequences of removal would be lots of larger fires that are too many for the fire service to deal with, lots of lost employment through lost workplaces, more and greater burn injuries, and, perhaps, some persons trapped through not having access to an extinguisher to aid their escape. As to locations, they should be hung on brackets or sited on plinths so that their absence will be readily noticed.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 24 July 2002 14:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Ken, I accept your arguements - just feel too much emphasis is put on the things that's all. To send this thread off at a tanget, would you agree there is no situation where a water extingisher could safely be used. I know of very few environments that do not contain electrics.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 24 July 2002 20:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt When I were a lad, some little time ago, I spent some time with a fire professional whose views on extinguishers were unprintable in a family chat room like this. Modifying his views a little towards the positive, I tend to the principle of advising people that if they look at the fire and can't guarantee they can knock it down within 30 seconds then the 30 seconds is going to be used to much better effect by getting themselves and their colleagues out of there and letting the professionals do the job. In the same vein, on my instection travels I used (with the assent of the company of course) to make a practice of actually letting a small percentage off to test whether they do in fact work. Despite the check date label (when present), in my experience at least 50% made a small pooping noise and dribble, instead of doing the job. The second experience tends to reinforce the first opinion. I would add that it has been a while since I last did this, so reliability may have improved since then. But somehow I doubt it. Allan
Admin  
#8 Posted : 25 July 2002 09:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I'm with the fire authorities and the published guidance on this one Jim - but training is essential. It is also important to have the correct extinguishers available - including a choice where applicable. I would, however, support your argument with regard to hose reels in many situations as they can encourage people to try to become firefighters and stay too long. Basically if you can't get the fire out with the equivalent of 2 gallons of water you need to get yourself out pdq. As to Allan's less than eloquent ancient fire professional acquaintance, I have heard this sort of thing from the odd fire fighter sent out on inspections too - but not from their more senior and qualified officers. 'Just leave it to us' can mean wait for a decent-sized fire and we'll fill your workplace with water! Needless to say the fire procedure should require the fire brigade to be called to every outbreak of fire - but let's allow them to spend their important extinguishing time where it's really needed.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 25 July 2002 09:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard The best description I have heard for fire extinguishers is "First Aid Fire Fire Fighting Appliances", and they should be used as just that - plasters for minor incidents - waste bins and the like. I am a great believer in "Get Out, Stay Out", and I always tell my people that if one extinguisher hasn't doen the trick - forget it. I also believe that hose reels are only useful for letting the professionals get water onto the fire quickly. Since you normally have to pass the hose through a smoke door they are very dangerous without BA. Richard