Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 August 2002 20:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graeme Scott The company that I work for are introducing seperate policies for the main hazards, (Man.Hand. Fire etc..). In each of the draft policies that I have seen so far the responsibilities of everyone at different levels are defined. However the company are defining the role of the safety rep, implying the functions/duties of the reps and not the company's methods of working with the reps. The reps are appointed by the recognised Trade Union as per 1977 SRSC regs. Has anyone come across this before? Who does define the safety reps functions/ duties? I believe that as the reps are appointed by the T.U. it is them who define the role and the company can only instruct employees to carryout tasks etc. as per section 7+8 of the HASWA 1974. Any advice/comments would be welcome as Im getting myself in a twist over this one.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 August 2002 21:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Eden have a look in Safety Reps & Safety Committee Regs 3rd edition 1996. it gives you agood indication of what TU Reps can do.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 August 2002 18:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt For what it's worth, in my experience the system you describe in general generates a lot of paperwork that people don't read, and then ignore. It is often one that comes from close and frequent contact with a contaminant such as an early version of ISO 9000! Seriously, your outfit needs to be more aware than it seems to be that it can only agree/negotiate the details of safety reps' duties, not impose them. If they persist they are likely to find themselves at a Tribunal for failure to allow time off to do what the safety reps and union want to be done. Most larger employers have been through this experience and have discovered that in many cases the union knows more about the rules (and often more about H&S) than the employer does. And that is a sad state of affairs. Allan
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 August 2002 10:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis I fully concur with Allan's comments. This blinkered descent into a formal policy for everything contaminates the thinking of many persons in the construction industry. I regularly have "detailed" discussions with Planning Supervisors and other similar who state I should have a CDM policy statement, a Manual handling policy, a COSHH policy etc etc. I am almost confronted with the need to almost produce a book on Understanding Management Systems to aid and amplify their own understanding so that they can properly assess my pre-qual responses. We need to move on from these rigid word ideas into an understanding of what we are doing and what needs to be done. As for your own employer perhaps your union may be able to provide educational resources for your managers to understand what is actually required. Bob