Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 August 2002 13:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone
Our management have decided to replace computers with laptops. These laptops will be used daily for 1hr+. We have raised objections to this due to ergonimic issues and suggested that if laptops are to be used then a docking station should be used. The management have gone against this advice. Have anyone else faced this proble, and how have you overcome it?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 August 2002 15:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd
This problem is becoming more common as the versitility of laptops is increasingly recognised; however, as you have identified their prolonged use is potentially a problem for many workers.

You have registered your concern and management, with that knowledge, have made their decision - I suggest that you show the senior person in your organisation who has responsibility for health and safety, the relevant parts of the DSE regs and Guidance and ask them to confirm in writing their reasons for taking the action they have - easy for me to suggest, and less easy to do, I know; but at least that would ensure they have properly considered the potential consequencies - not just for the workers but also in relation their to their possible breach of duty.

The proposed revised guidance to the DSE Regs (currently under discussion) suggests that lap tops are excluded from the Regs ONLY if they are NOT in prolonged use. Prolonged use is described much as it is currently and continuous or near-continuous use of an hour or more is, I believe, considered to be 'prolonged'.

Your Company's proposed level of laptop use therefore brings them within the scope of the Regs, and employers should therefore ensure that such work is assessed and that reasonably practicable measures are taken to control any risks identified in that assessment.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 August 2002 21:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murphy
Ian.

HSE published the results of studies into the use of portables and guidance on the subject early in 2001 (Feb/March time). We prepared guidance and issued it as part of DSE policy. I will send you a copy of that guidance by e-mail.

One of the conclusions based on the guidance reads:

 Portable computers used as permanent desktop computers offset any benefits gained from low-usage and therefore the use of portables in this way should be actively discouraged.

John
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 August 2002 22:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murphy
See report Health and safety of portable
display screen equipment Prepared by:
T. Heasman, A. Brooks, T. Stewart. Can be found at http://www.hse.gov.uk/re...rr_pdf/2000/crr00304.pdf

John
Admin  
#5 Posted : 09 August 2002 16:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi
Ian,

The control measures can also depend on the actual use. You mention +1 hours, but is it less than 2 or is it 5-6 hours. If it is "significant use", in most cases one of the outcomes of a risk assessment will be the use of "docking" stations!In effect your portable PC acts as a CPU unit with conventional screens & keyboards. Also, employers need to be aware of the potential for "WRULDS" that will be significantly higher for laptop computers! In this case, the main driver for proper control measures is not enforcement but potential civil liability claims.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 14 August 2002 11:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By sylvia
Agree with above responses - but on a practical note. Depending on the conditions of use, laptops can be adapted by a simple device from Osmond Group (01202 773377 www.ergonomics.co.uk) to hold the laptop almost upright to achieve quite a good screen position, WITH an external keyboard of course. This option is far cheaper / simpler than a separate monitor, keyboard plus docking station. The other advantage is it's spaceworthy - my company has folk working at home, and although willing to provide the external extras, people weren't keen as they didn't have desk / storage space.
Of course, it does depend on the main use, there may still be people (like me at home) who would benefit (after analysis of workstation / work) from the full set-up. But I still have the fold-up stand and mini keyboard to take on the road for use away from home.
Have a look at the Osmond stuff - well worth seeing - no I don't work for them! They also do one of THE most useful bits of kit for DSE set-ups - bookrests for between keyboard and monitor. Perfick.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 19 August 2002 20:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Essex
Unfortunatly a laptop does not come under the DSE Regs. (normally), but a DSE risk assessment should be undertaken if the employer wants staff to use one in preferance to a desktop.

Laptops were not designed to be used as workstations, the threat of RSI type claims in the future may spur your employer to provide docking stations.

You also want to look at security for staff transporting laptops, printers etc. and also manual handling.

Regards
Andy Essex
Admin  
#8 Posted : 20 August 2002 08:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Dawson
Andy you wrote, "Unfortunatly a laptop does not come under the DSE Regs. - - ". It does if the "user" meets the criteria. It can't meet all of the min requirements without additional equipment like that referred to above but the assessment should identify what control measures are necessary and the applicability of the min requiremnts depending on circumstances of use and inherent characteristics of task.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 20 August 2002 08:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone
Thanks you all for some really useful information, I'm taking it to management soon
Admin  
#10 Posted : 09 September 2002 10:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shaun Deely
Ian,

A long time since you posted but hopefully .....
An alternative that is more cost effective than the full blown docking station is to suggest that monitors, keyboards and mice are provided at a laptop users workstation. This may or may not allow access to printers etc depending on the particular laptop being used but ...if using a laptop then printers aren't normally included However, given the advances in technology Im sure that this is not an insurmountable issue