Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 August 2002 11:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Peirce Can any Forum members advice whether or not use of a handheld netpad is subject to the D.S.E Regs in the following circumstances? - Netpad is a Psion lightweight shock and water resistant mobile tablet computer (as described in user guide). - It is carried and used by Meter fixers to input meter details following meter changes. - The meter fixer can change up to 20 meters per day and after each meter change he/she takes a maximum of 5 minutes to input the data. Any guidance would be most appreciated. Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 August 2002 11:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Brian, I used to work for a Meter reading company and had the same issue. They used to use a Hand Held Terminal for input of data entry. We received a letter from the union saying that we were failing to comply with the DSE Regs by not carrying out DSE assessments. After studying the exemptions in the regs I still couldn't decide, so rang the HSE infoline and spoke to an inspector. He told me that they do not come within the scope of the DSE regs. As I have moved on since then, I'm afraid I couldn't tell you who I spoke to. Rmemember that even if you decide not to carry out DSE assessments, a generic risk assessment under the Management Regs is still required. Principle hazards relate to people on piece work entering data whilst still walking around! However, the Terminal is a control measure in the case of dog attack (the bane of a meter readers life). I have seen many a near miss report when a dog has been fended off with a Hand Held Terminal between the eyes! Regards, Nick
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 August 2002 13:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Wilkes Interesting question! I would agree with the general duty to conduct an assessment. I am aware that there have been some ergonomic problems reported with them, usually due to speed of data entry and the position in which the device is held.If you need any more get back to me. Regards Barry